Skip to main content

A tribute to McNally Robinson Portage Place

I was going to call this entry "New beginnings must be preceded by endings" but as I wrote, I realized the above was a more accurate name.

Did I mention I have a hard time letting go? I'm finding it very hard to accept the fact that I'm no longer a bookseller. The Editorial Assistant gig was great; I learned a lot, was stretched and challenged in my vocation, enjoyed my coworkers and the working environment -- but I'd been there for less than a year and I went into it expecting it to be a shorter term job, a stepping stone in my career path, so the leave taking was not as difficult. The end of my bookselling stint? Not quite as blithe.

I've been a bookseller for 5 years now and it has been a very comfortable place for me. It was there I started working when I returned from Europe, as I readjusted to North America and got used to city life; it kept me financially solvent while pursuing my undergrad; it allowed me the flexibility to work for Elections Manitoba, to go to Quebec one summer, Ukraine another, and to juggle bookselling and newspaper work (which I found to be quite complementary); the bookstore was part of my growing independence, growing perception of adulthood and even a small part of my identity. I was there through 3 different store managers, 2 inventory managers, 4 receivers, 4 magazine persons and 6 events coordinators. It was a defining part of my life for 5 years -- as long a span as I've done anything yet except for junior/high school.

I loved being surrounded by books, being aware of the new releases, the fads, the old favourites and everything in between. I loved knowing exactly what my job was -- where I could contribute best and whom to ask about the things I didn't know. I loved the triumph of having the exact answer to a customer's less than complete enquiry before they'd fully asked it. Finally, what capped it all off and made it fun even when the customers and the fountain were driving me nuts, was that I loved my coworkers -- such an eclectic bunch of people with diverse backgrounds and interests who all worked together so well, enjoying many laughs and many rants together. (I guess the ranting was mostly done by me: thanks, guys, for humouring me.)

And so it was, sniffling and blubbering, laden with book purchases, that I left the store today after my last official full shift. (A regular customer regarded me with alarm and confusion as he beheld my tear-streaked face exiting the store.) Never one to handle change well, I was far too sleep deprived to handle this leave taking dry-eyed. Then my poor brother had to chauffeur sniveling Karla out to the farm, waterworks turning off and on all the way.

Thanks managers, past and present, for not firing me for my abysmal customer service skills. Thanks coworkers, past and present, for being such great people to work with, and for expanding my horizons through your unique personalities and perspectives.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Karla. I can sympathise with your
pain. Your description was so apt. It's a fascinating place to work with great, diverse people. I will miss it too, and miss working with you.
Heather
Anonymous said…
karla, dear.....you made me tear up just reading that. i will miss you!
Pamela said…
What a lovely tribute!

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...