I choose to worship an ineffable God

Theologian David Bentley Hart: "We are, first and foremost, heroic and insatiable consumers, and we must not allow the specters of transcendent law or personal guilt render us indecisive. For us, it is choice itself, and not what we choose, that is the first good."

It delights me how often a postmodernish sounding statement is remarkably Christian. This is not to say that postmodernism is necessarily inherently a more Christian school of thought than those that preceded it, only to rebuff those who suggest is categorically less so.

If we truly believe "my God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing my God cannot do," why are so we eager to constrain his possible works, acts, and intentions to only that which we are able to conceive of in our changeable and constantly learning minds?

I hope to always remember that my God is so big, I will only ever begin to scratch the surface of understanding who and what he truly is. That is a Creator, Redeemer, Saviour, Reconciler before whom we fall in worship and are transformed.

Comments

Popular Posts