Bike 5

The winter that wouldn't end.

A forecast of snow for the evening did not encourage me to get out of bed in the morning.

In mid-March, it occurred to me that I hadn't wiped out yet all winter, but I suspected the time would come. Yes, with all the ice, the chickens have come home to roost -- twice. I shouldn't complain; generally my wipeouts are my own fault, caused by overcautiousness, and that was certainly the case today in the shadowed (read iced up) back alley less than a block from home. Exactly as I feared, I went down slowly, cursing and grumbling.

At 6:00 p.m., I sprang from my office to the window, suddenly remembering the forecast snow, and hoping if it had not yet come, it wouldn't. The ground was still dry, but even as I looked through the glass, flakes began to fall.

By 11:30, there was a decent blanket of snow, traffic on Osborne disturbed precipitation such that getting splashed was a greater problem than slipping on ice.

Whoever thought April was a good month for a gimmick to encourage the masses to daily forays via human-powered locomotion clearly does not live on the Canadian Prairies.

Comments

Popular Posts