Skip to main content

Rock star at Folklorama


It's my favourite two weeks of summer and this folk dancing nerd is in her element. This year, I got to introduce some Toronto-relocated friends to the joy of the good-old hokey Winnipeg amateur-hour cultural spectacle that is Folklorama.

There was a little bit of extra excitement this year.

First of all, the usual at the Japanese pavilion. The feisty four-year old was inspired by the low-key armthrusts and choreographed fake fighting of the karate demonstration. (Sorry, folks, but Park's Tae kwon do academy puts on a much more impressive demonstration over at the Korean pavilion.) The eight-year-old was entranced by Hinedo Taiko's drumming, mirroring their movements on her lap. The game-store-manager young dad enthused over the connections to animé and Pokemon. It was a successful first pavilion.

It was enough culture for the littles, so we left them to go play in the park and headed off alone to the Punjabi pavilion with just enough time to catch the show. The opening song was already finishing up as we entered the room and grabbed some food (no line at all!).

The Punjabi pavilion shows what I love about Folklorama: the beautiful display of cultural pride delivered in an attitude of invitation. Albeit scripted, formulaic and somewhat predictable, the show and the whole pavilion program come off as a genuine attempt to share the beloved pieces of that culture with both those of the more mainstream, white, Canadian culture and also those from their own newcomer communities who still strongly identify with the cultural trappings from another location.

Another notable thing about the Punjabi pavilion which distinguishes its energy from the more static, nostalgic vibe of most of the European pavilions is the connection of the culture presented with the world today. They're doing ancient traditional steps developed by Punjabi farmers to bring celebration into their village life centuries ago...and they are doing them to the latest pop / dance-mix music on hit radio or playing in the clubs. We aren't rehashing a cultural moment from the past here but enjoying the energy of a culture expressing itself today, reshaping past traditions to fit current realities.



When the show ended, the coterie of politicians (e.g., Terry Duguid, Kevin Lamoureux) made their way on stage along with an energetic, debonair man in a crisp light blue cotton shirt and dress pants whose back was to the audience as he enthusiastically shook the hand of each person on stage.

I'm not a fan but my heart started racing.

The presence of a flock of RCMP who had suddenly appeared in each entrance and a few big bruiser type guys hanging close to the man on stage supported my suspicions. He finally turned around to feature in a group photo and confirmed my suspicions. Yes, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had crashed the Punjabi pavilion.

It was like seeing a movie star. It was slightly thrilling to be in the room. He smiled effervescently and shook every hand offered to him, and beamed kindly into every camera that crowded around for a selfie.

Now there are many reasons to argue why the national leader shouldn't necessarily be the one who would win a popularity contest. One wants competence in leadership. But maybe the monarchies do know something we don't: that people want to be charmed by someone winsome, attractive and charismatic. Let the civil servants be competent, efficient, intelligent and discerning. Maybe what we need in the top national leader is someone we can admire, be a little bit in awe of: sort of like royalty.

Trudeau certainly hits that nail on the head (even being part of a political dynasty on both sides of the family). You can critique his political positions, his policy choices, even his excessive use of “um”s and “ah”s, but you must give the man credit for being a star. More than just charisma; he's completely approachable and unfailing warm in his interaction with the public. One can have a magnetic personality but not deign to give any time to the fans. Trudeau by contrast went around the whole room, accepting all the adulation and fawning with warmth. (He was also very succinct and kept it moving, after offering said moment of connection, he quickly moved on to the next transaction.) One might say he's an insecure person who laps up all the attention, but he whirled through this room in a cloud of positivity and generosity that felt inspiring, not pathetic; affirming, not demanding.

There are plenty of ways Canada falls short (immigration policies for one!) and is in desperate need of reform to serve its citizens better, but tonight – the whole Folklorama experience in general with the added bonus of Trudeau's little drop in – was a taste of what I love about this country.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...