Skip to main content

Our pensions for genocide? No!

CPPIB doubles down

Just Peace Advocates has found that as of 31 March 2026 (fiscal year end 2025/2026), the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board had over $54 billion invested in 120 companies complicit in Israel’s genocide, war crimes, and apartheid.

This represents 6.9% of CPPIB’s total holdings in 25/26.

They're trying to fund our retirements by profiteering off mass murder.

I'm not okay with that. Are you?


I am writing today after having learned about CPPIB’s 2026 Annual Report. I am disgusted by what I have learned. 

After the millions you spent on a cross-country consultation tour, you are ignoring every voice that cajoled and begged and pleaded that you not invest our money in genocide. We'll be happy to have smaller returns if it means our funds aren't causing children to die at the hands of a wanton, sadistic genocidal state.

An analysis of CPPIB’s holdings shows more than $54 billion invested in companies that are actively participating in illegal activities in occupied Palestinian territory. As of 31 March 2026 (fiscal year end 2025/2026), CPPIB had over $54 billion invested in 120 companies complicit in Israel’s genocide, war crimes, and apartheid. This represents 6.9% of CPPIB’s total holdings in 25/26. This includes 8 companies listed on the UN Database — 3 US companies (Airbnb, Booking Holdings, and Motorola Soutions) and 5 Israeli companies (Bank Hapoalim, Bank Leumi, Delek Group, Israel Discount Bank, and Mizrahi Tefahot Bank). 

Further, as of the 25/26 fiscal year, CPPIB drastically increased its investments in complicit Israeli companies. CPPIB reported investments in 21 complicit companies that did not appear in either the 23/24 or 24/25 annual report. Of these 21 companies, 14 are Israeli companies (66%). The remaining are US (4) and Indian (3) companies. This shows a clear intention to expand investments in Israeli companies that are aiding and assisting Israel’s illegal occupation, genocide, and apartheid.

Over the past 3 years, CPPIB’s complicit investments have increased from $20.3 billion in 23/24, to $31.1 billion in 24/25, and to $54.8 billion in 25/26. Over the same period, Israel has been escalating its genocidal violence in the occupied Palestinian territory — both in Gaza, and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem. This does not occur by happenstance. It is possible through investments and financing, like that provided by the CPPIB.

Just last week, the Canadian government warned businesses not to bid for construction tenders in for Israeli settlement developments. Yet, at the same time, CPPIB invests in these companies and those financing Israel’s illegal settlement enterprise. These investments directly violate international law as they contribute to the maintenance of the unlawful occupation. CPPIB is materially aiding and assisting Israel in the commission of war crimes, genocide, and apartheid.

International humanitarian law (IHL) is binding on all actors where activity is closely linked to armed conflict, including business enterprises, even if they don’t take part in active hostilities. Investment managers who make investments in war-crimes-complicit companies are either wilfully blind or recklessly indifferent to the effect of their investments regarding war crimes, crimes against humanity, and ‘plausible’ genocide. Further, both corporations and individuals within them can be held accountable under domestic Canadian law. For example, CPPIB is liable for “aiding and abetting” war crimes under section 21 of the Canadian Criminal Code.

CPPIB has a legal obligation to end investments that contribute to maintaining Israel’s illegal occupation. Meanwhile, CPPIB chooses to increase its support. As a Canadian taxpayer, this implicates me. Your action make me actively complicit in Israel’s atrocity crimes. This must end. I demand divestment now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...