Skip to main content

If it's illegal, what's the consequence?

Once again, it takes joint action from other cowardly Western states before Canada is willing to say anything the slightest bit critical of Israel, no matter how meaningless. “International law is clear: Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal,” they say. And yet they have absolutely nothing meaningless to offer as consequence for said illegality. 

So, another letter, of course!


Your statement "businesses should not bid for construction tenders... should be aware of legal and reputational consequences of participating in settlement construction" is not worth the paper it is written on unless you promise *real* consequences *you* are prepared to levy, not just "should"s and "reputational consequences."

It is long past time for sanctions on Israel in response to ongoing violations of international law and the continued expansion of illegal settlements, and more importantly, for *your* government to divest from the Israeli war machine. What are Canadians' pensions funds doing tied up on the creation of weapons? Why does the Canadian government continue to sell weapons to Israel. This is shameful! You are committing crimes, not just in our names but with our tax dollars. Enough!

Just days ago, 190 former senior diplomats outlined 10 urgent recommendations for Canada, including:

      (1) Expand economic and travel sanctions to include any Israeli cabinet member, member of the - Knesset, government official, settler, or organization that promotes violence against Palestinians or the seizure of their land;
      (2) Take legal action against Canadian companies that bid on or participate in construction projects in the settlements;
      (3) Inform the Israeli government of Canada's intention to undertake an immediate review of the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement (CIFTA), including the application of rules of origin to exclude coverage of products from the illegal settlements

Last week, the European Union imposed additional sanctions on settlers and settler organizations. Canada should implement similar measures and expand sanctions to include Israeli officials, settlers, and organizations connected to violence against Palestinians or the confiscation of Palestinian land.

I also urge your government to act against Canadian companies involved in settlement construction, including by publicly warning that any entity participating in the E1 settlement expansion project will face targeted economic sanctions.

Settlement growth and settler violence continue to intensify. In 2025, Israel approved 54 new settlements, resulting in the displacement of 22 Palestinian communities. More than 845 attacks by settlers against Palestinians have been documented this year alone.

Canada has repeatedly stated that Israeli settlements violate the Fourth Geneva Convention and UN Security Council resolutions 446 and 465. However, Canada has not yet taken meaningful action. I urge your government to impose sanctions and uphold international law.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...