Skip to main content

Chocolate Jesus

Okay, this actually has nothing to do with Cameroon, it's just my thoughts on a particular matter.

Have you heard about the chocolate Jesus brouhaha? http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/2007/03/30/sweet-lord.html

This strikes me as a kneejerk response from the Catholic league. I'll grant you that the bias of the story probably favours the artist, so it may very well have neglected to fully portray the Catholic League's position on this, but from what I read, it sounds like they're offended because a) it's ugly, b) it's naked, and c) it's Easter.

Frankly, I don't see any of those as particularly good reasons to get up in arms about things. Because a) beauty is in the eye of the beholder, b) like it or not, there is and always has been a lot of nudity in art, for which there are probably both good and bad reasons, but regardless, I don't fancy that is going to change soon and a handful of outraged protests will do nothing but annoy artists and make us look like Puritans or philistines, and c) if it is indeed offensive, we should be as offended at any time of the year, and if it's not, kudos for the (presumably secular) artist for bringing attention to Jesus at Easter.

Why are we always falling all over ourselves to defend God's honour from non-Christians? He's the creator of the universe. Omniscient. Omnipotent. I think He can take care of Himself. Instead, we should be more concerned about how our lives as Christians bring -- or more often, fail to bring -- honour to our Lord. I think Christians who blithely fail to live out Jesus' example in the little things everyday and Christian leaders who succumb to pride in its many forms (without repenting) do far more damage to God's honour than any piece of art -- however offensive it may be -- can ever do. We're called to keep each other accountable, but not to judge each other. The only person's behaviour whom you have the right to control is your own.

This could have been an opportunity for dialogue, to learn something, maybe even to witness, but first and foremost, to hear where the artist is coming from. What if, next time something like this happens, instead of racing to condemn, what if Christians asked, "what is the artist trying to say? Why would he choose to use a sacred Christian image at this time of year? why would he choose to portray it in a way that may be extremely offensive to practitioners of the faith?" Even if the answer turns out to be that he has a grudge against Christians and was deliberately trying to offend and provoke, wouldn't an honest desire to hear what the artist has to say and to try to understand his concerns be much more effective at honouring God than boycotts and protests?

Comments

Rebs said…
too true.

rather than being offended, I thought it was kind of an interesting idea. It really should only offend the iconoclasts, which Catholics are...definitely not. I mean, what’s one more image of a crucified Christ to the Catholic church?
I don’t think it’s been the first naked Christ either.
So then the only objection they can possibly have is to the medium. Which is of course the part I like about the sculpture – it points out the fact that Christ’s death and resurrection has been reduced to a day of eating chocolate for most of the western world.

I love irony

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...