Skip to main content

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved.

Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well!

Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.)

The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork.

To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alone, passing through scary customs processes, finding the Baptist guesthouse for the night and somehow travelling to Bamenda for the homeschool conference -- all on my own without that reassuring responsible and experienced oversight -- that would be overstating it. Dan assured me it would all work out and there were people he could hook me up with at every stage of the journey, so while I was feeling decidedly nervous about the whole affair, I wasn't actually worried. I'm not a worst-case scenario person to the degree that my dad is, but I agree wholeheartedly with the adage: Forewarned is forearmed!

So all of this to say that while I was never worried about the whole affair, I am tangibly relieved to hear that Mike and Becky will meet me in Douala and I'll head up to Bamenda with them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Karla....
I can't picture you wandering around in a foreign country being all panicky. I can, however, see you getting lost because you stopped at a store and saw that the sign outside was grammatically incorrect and you had to go inside and tell the owner (who doesn't take kindly to criticism) and he starts yelling at you and you panick and run out of the store into the street where you are promptly run over by a donkey pulling a cart. You wake up, several months later, in a hospital about 70 miles from the middle of nowhere and you think that you are the queen of the Netherlands. You also find yourself irresistibly drawn to the word "impactful" and use it in almost every sentence.
Does that make you feel any easier about your impending adventure into an unknown land?
kar0ling said…
AAAAAHHHHHHHH! "Impactful" (hear the scorn in my voice as I spit out that word)! My eyes -- they bleed as they read that abomination masquerading as an adjective. My fingers ache from typing it. My brain reels at the thought of it.
lasselanta said…
Wow.

I also am vastly relieved that you will not have to navigate porters, customs, airport taxis, rest house fees, and taxi parks all while on jet lag.

I don't know how well you sleep in planes... but after 24-30 hours of travelling I don't know very many people who are up for ambiguous half-communication with people who share neither culture nor dialect with you. :-)

But, with Mike and Becky there, that should be less urgent. Have fun!
kar0ling said…
Gasp! Oh Sharon, I really wasn't overly worried before but after your comments--now I *am* nervous! Yikes!
Since you mention it, no, I don't really sleep on planes.
lasselanta said…
Oh no! I'm sorry! That wasn't my intent.

Don't be worried now! Mike and Becky will navigate all that for you, since they are coming to pick you up. Just enjoy watching them work. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...