Skip to main content

Taking public transportation in Cameroon

I understand now why the missionaries all own private vehicles. The savings cannot possibly outweigh the frustrations of public transport.

In the past few days I have experienced a variety of modes and journeys on public transportation. It all started in Mutengene. Shortly after arriving in the taxi park we were loaded onto a bus (a 15-passenger van-type affair) in which we sat and sweated for about an hour and a half before leaving. Lisa was trying to call the members of the literacy committee with whom we were supposed to be meeting in Ekondo Titi, thus the reason for our trip.

Time passed quickly in the red bus called Symbol and before I knew it the bus was loaded—3 people on the benches and not 1 but 2 people on the jump seats. A vehicle which would hold 15 people in North America was packed with 20 people, roof piled high with luggage of all shapes and sizes including a bedframe loaded on top.

Across the road was a bus called Patience, which I fancied an inauspicious name for a transportation line given the nature of wait times in Cameroon, but to my surprise it departed before we did!

I was fortunate to have the window seat where I could control airflow and cosy up to the wall instead of lolling my head from shoulder to shoulder of fellow passengers as I dozed and bumped along the road. Poor Lisa’s legs are just a bit too long for those little seats, though; her knees could not help but connect with a supporting bar running through the seat ahead of us.

The bus made a stop at the Muyuka taxi park where a number of the backseat passengers hopped out the rear window and were not replaced by new ones. Still, we remained crammed like sardines until the next town when someone finally climbed over the seat to redistribute the extra space.

Along the dusty gravelled road, we suddenly stopped and the driver got out to retrieve something that had fallen off the vehicle. Looking out the back window, I saw a small colourful object lying on the road. I wondered what it was, how the driver had noticed he’d lost it, and why he was bothering to retrieve it. It was his side mirror.

“Check your foot!” a lady passenger demanded of the driver while he was outside. Someone along the road had gestured toward it, she intimated. “Foot,” I wondered? Back tire! It seems it was fine, because we were off again in the rickety red van.

The panelling on the interior was mostly stripped; the seats had lost most of their springiness, betraying every supporting bar; and the sliding door required expert manipulation to open and close. My first town to town journey on public. Rather dusty and sweaty, but not unbearable, was my analysis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...