Skip to main content

Ghana-must-go

Two rather abstruse names are used for two different kinds of heavy-duty reusable bags in Cameroon. I was able to get the history behind “fertilizer,” a general word for an all-purpose shopping bag, but despite Johannes’ explanation, I never quite got a handle on why the extra-large plaid suitcase-style bags were called “Ghana-must-go.”

Fertilizer. Fertilizer came/comes in a sort of gunny sack, which of course, would be reused as a carrying bag, small mat, or however it could be pressed into service. Over time, the content word was lost, leaving the adjective, and the word came to be used for bags in general.

A common phenomenon in word formation.

Ghana-must-go. I’m sure there’s a nugget of etymological fact in this explanation, but I’m not quite sure where it is. Johannes, Scotts’ cook, says the bags have this name because during some football (soccer) tournament they were used by the team from Ghana. Everybody wanted Cameroon to win, so they said “Ghana must go,” and ever since those bags have had that name.

I’m afraid I just don’t follow the logic in that explanation. Then, again, I don’t share the cultural assumptions of Cameroonians, so maybe it does make sense.

But, speaking of Ghana, it has very quietly elected another leader. In the midst of the escalating retributive violence in the Middle East, and the utter ravishment of Zimbabwe by cholera (exacerbated by Mugabe’s greed and utter disdain for his people), this very hopeful note about an African country has gone largely unnoticed.

“John Atta Mills has been sworn in as Ghana's new president following a cliff-hanger election victory….President John Kufuor has stood down after serving the maximum two terms. He is the second elected head of state in Ghana's history to hand over to an opposition politician.”
(read the full BBC story here)

Ghana’s newest leader is from the opposition party, making this the second time in the 50-odd year history of the country that the ruling president has actually stepped down when he was supposed to, and allowed an elected opposition leader to take power.

This encouraging news goes some distance to explain why some observers say Ghana is “a long way ahead of many other African countries”.

Go Ghana! We hear far too little good news today, particularly coming out of Africa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...