Skip to main content

White man magic

It was nearly the end of my time in the village when the subject of Mike's solar panels came up and I asked Dan how they worked.

He looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and impishly replied, "You're wondering about Mike's white man magic?"

There's a worldview difference in play here. I didn't know what caused Mike's solar panels to reorient to the direction of the sun every morning but I knew there was a very plausible explanation. Perhaps there was a winch on a timer, perhaps it was activated by solar power. Maybe even Simon, the yard worker did it midmorning without my ever noticing him. It never occurred to me there was anything mysterious about the panels' movement, despite the fact it was beyond my comprehension.

In a Western mindset, we assume there is a logical explanation for everything. We don't consign things we don't understand to the realm of mystery, magic, and spirit -- we expect that science will sooner or later be able to explain it to us. In this particular situation, that is the correct approach. Yet I found myself wondering if perhaps, we're too logical. If we aren't perhaps too quick to explain everything, too hasty in our rush to find a scientific theory.

Perhaps by not recognizing the realm of mystery, by never seeing the magic, by never crediting the spiritual, perhaps we're not so superior as we might think, but actually missing out. Perhaps there's a connection between the Western mind's obsession with logic and science and our struggle to understand the goodness of God in a world of pain, while our neighbours in the Global South -- who have lived through more pain than I can imagine -- are still able to believe in a God who is love.

What makes things happen? Is it science? Is it magic? Or maybe, a bit of both? What do you believe?

Comments

Tom said…
Totally with you. Cool post.
Eric Jordan said…
This makes me think of something I came across while doing research for a paper:

'The dichotomy between the thought of the now and the past is present as a result of the loss of a mystical view of the universe. The cosmos no longer has a mysterious quality to it, but instead is objectified merely as a something that can be examined, observed and grasped. Where the modern seeker holds the universe as an object to be studied and understood, the ancients held the universe as a mystical, supernaturally enchanted domain of which humanity is nothing more than a part. In this vein, some would assert that modernity is marked by the disenchantment of the world where the world, once desacrelised, simply becomes 'natural matter' from which the human subject is alienated . . . Modernity divided what was a formerly integrated world into a fractured universe, thereby causing a split between fact and value, knowledge and meaning, self and cosmos so that the price of progress was the loss of worth. It was a self-defining move to what modernity declared scientific progress from the superstitious dead end of the ancients.'
-Daniel K. L. Chua, 'Vincenzo Galilei, Modernity and the Division of Nature,' in Music Theory and the Natural Order from the Renaissance to the Early 20th Century.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...