Skip to main content

Servant Development

I keep hearing about leadership -- in the church, in the workplace, on the shelves in bookstores. And frankly, it depresses me when Christians are a few steps behind the latest trend in wider society.

Amid all the resources on leader development amassed in the past decade, what are we still missing? In our journey to become “little Christs,” have we taken our eyes off the perfect example? Did Jesus urge his followers to become better leaders, or better servants?

Jesus was undoubtedly grooming his disciples to be leaders – they were the ones who started the church after his death and resurrection. The churches these former Jesus-interns began grew over 2,000 years to comprise the largest religious following in the world. But Jesus’ message to that motley crew was not to build on your strengths, or to read the next management bestseller – advice we hear not only in business circles, but also in the church. Such advice has value, but isn’t what makes Jesus’ example different.

The heart of the message


Service. That was the heart of Jesus’ message. The Sermon on the Mount contains no homily on leadership, but does talk about loving both neighbour and enemy (Matthew 5:43), and about knowing a tree by its fruit (Matthew 7:16). Later Jesus tells the crowds about the cost of discipleship (Matthew 8:20). Do our training programs teach us to aspire to this kind of truly counter-cultural leadership? Are we following Christ’s injunction to be in the world but not of it?

Despite all the extensive written resources, training retreats, workshops, and seminars available to pastors and leaders today, perhaps we’re missing the simple call at the heart of it – the invitation to serve.

Simple, maybe, but certainly not easy. “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me’” (Matthew 16:24). Whoever. So it’s not only the leaders who have something to learn here. Developing a servant heart is a strategy for everyone.

A healthy relationship, as my pastor recently reminded the congregation, requires give and take. It’s not only the pastor who needs to be a servant. When close to half of the reported reasons for pastor resignation are negative, from congregational conflict to burnout, I wonder if the problem doesn’t lie equally with the quality of our “following,” as with the calibre of leading. How are we in the pews serving leadership, and each other?

Call to be Christ-like servants

Leader development, I suspect, does not inspire the average church-goer. But a call to be Christ-like servants? That’s something I can get excited about, however inadequate and timid my efforts may be. What if our standard, not only for leaders, but also for the flock, was “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all” (Mark 9:35)?

Afflicted with both the idealism and cynicism of youth, I recognize the impossibility of this challenge. But I find assurance, along with Paul, that “My [God’s] grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).

Let’s pray, not for the strength to lead, but for the weakness to be servants through God’s power.

From MB Herald August 2009. Read full article here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...