Skip to main content

God as homework genie

"Oh God! I didn't study enough for this test, but please, just bring the answers to mind; let me get a good mark."

I know it isn't good theology, but I've done it plenty of times.

Take two: "Lord, that paper I wrote is not very inspired. Please let me get a good mark."

Post-submission rewording? That's not going to happen.

Pre-prayer, you say; that's the ticket. You need to pray before/as you write the assignment. But is it any less manipulative to ask God to just make me brilliant?

Wait, before we turn God into a homework genie, let's try out a different set of lenses on this. What am I praying for? What do I hope is going to happen?

Maybe homework prayer is an admission of my need for help. What if it stems not from desperation, but a sense of my smallness within the vastness of the world and possibilities of ideas? Maybe what I'm saying is not "God, drop words into my brain to make me sound smart," but "I am not wise; my vision is shuttered, my understanding limited; open my mind so I might reach beyond my own insight to see more broadly and act more justly"?

Suddenly, this became a whole lot bigger than a simple homework assignment and became a way of living in faithfulness.

May those moments of desperation remind me of how much I have to learn, and how gracious is the great Teacher who coaches us to widen our understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...