Skip to main content

Blogging

Presuming to know something about this medium (HA! My one follower may belie such pretensions), I conducted a workshop on blogging during a short-term mission orientation session.

I continued to hang out with the young people for the rest of the day, lured to stay with the promise of a square dance later that night.

What happened there was noteworthy, so I feel I must practice what I preach and write up this event.

But what did I learn? Oh my! I probably wouldn’t have plumbed the experience for insight had I not sat down here to reflect here, but here goes. (And that’s one of the points I tried to make to the young’uns: writing serves critical reflection.)

Lloyd had gone out to the asylum shelter and invited sundry newcomers to join us at the square dance – “a genuine Canadian social activity”. (Actually, it’s probably more accurate to call it American.) Halfway through the evening, they joined us, so I was paired with a young man from Bangladesh.

Things weren’t quite as smooth with these unschooled additions to our group – understandably! Following instructions thrown at you regarding physical movement is hard enough without adding non-native language comprehension challenges – but I think a good time was had by all. Where the newcomers were disadvantaged by language, the Canadians were disadvantaged by unfamiliarity with dancing.

Nearly all of our new dancers are likely to have been Muslim in background, judging by their countries of origin and manner of dress. I’m not sure if we were all blissfully ignorant or just choosing to blithely ignore the fact that many of them may not have been comfortable touching people of the other sex. Fortunately, we didn’t do any swinging (which may have been too much physical contact to handle); nevertheless you can’t square dance without holding hands with everyone in the square at some point.

So where does my introspection lead?

It didn’t matter. Nobody got upset. We didn’t get it all right, but by appearances, a good time was had by all.

We didn’t wait for the right moment – Lloyd just plunged ahead and invited strangers to join us and feel at home. He made the circle bigger – exactly as I had earlier been musing with a friend about the purpose of family and church (itself family of affinity, not choosing). Yes, identity is part of the picture, but, counter-intuitively, a generous extension of belonging may end up growing a more enduring and faithful group dynamic than rigid boundary maintenance.

Build identity through expansion, not exclusion. Invite people in – to fun, to fellowship...maybe even to faith – and like as not, they’ll come along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...