Skip to main content

On speed and citizen advocacy


— Presented to CoW’s Executive Policy Committee —

I’m a downtown resident and have used a bicycle as my primary mode of transportation year round since 2009.

I’m here in support of Item No. 4 Speed Limit Reduction on Wellington Crescent. Full stop. From where it starts to where it ends. And on Kingsway. And Grosvenor. And Stella. And Flora. And Manitoba. And Magnus. And… and... and....

Many previous delegates have demonstrated how such a change is both in compliance with City of Winnipeg’s own documents, plans and policies and how, overall, making changes to both laws and infrastructure to prioritize human life over commuter convenience serves a building more livable city for all residents.

Frankly, I’m offended that I need to be here. And I’m offended that all this effort is being expended over merely reducing the speed limit, not even spending money to adjust the infrastructure yet. I’m offended that all this effort is being expended over just one street in a privileged neighbourhood when there are dozens of unsafe streets, especially in lower income neighbourhoods, used by many people whose finances prevent them from joining the convenience class of car drivers.

It’s deeply troubling that it should take dozens of Winnipeggers showing up in force over the course of 4 meetings to convince our city to prioritize human life over the convenience – measured in seconds – of those whose unfettered use of fossil fuels contributes to the dismantling of the possibility for a future habitable earth.

I’m offended that we should be compelled to lay before you our personal testimonies of our terror at close brushes with death at the hands of speeding or inattentive motorists or worse the grief of lost loved ones in hopes that our heart-string-tugging pain will convince the apparatus of the City to make interests of citizens of this city a priority where a wealth of data has not.

  • 30 km/hr has been amply proven to save lives, reduce emissions and noise pollution...
  • 30 km/hr clearly complies with the city’s own stated ambitions to be a more livable city...
  • 30 km/hr also supports the city’s unactualized climate plans...

The trendlines for city planning worldwide lean in the direction of citywide reduced speed limits: Winnipeg is failing its opportunity to be at the beginning of this trend instead of dead last…

The majority of the “but what about”s are easily defeated by making choices that centre human safety, not commuter convenience.

14 pedestrians and 2 cyclists have been killed this year. Preventable deaths. And we’re sitting here still trying to convince you human safety ranks above seconds of convenience.

How many of those anticipated onerously slow trips down Wellington at 30 km/hr have we already spent listening to the dozen delegations at City Centre Committee, the more than 2 dozen at Public Works, and the nearly 5 dozen today?

I beg of you to do “all things necessary to implement the intent of the foregoing” -- without delay. And to make this but the first of a cascade of actions to reduce motorist speeds and protect pedestrians and cyclists in this city.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...