Skip to main content

Okay, give us an account

A letter to the premier dashed off very quickly without much re-thinking or even re-reading because then I would just pause and never send it. The minister of environment told a member of a citizen lobby group I'm connected with to “hold us accountable” and that hearing from people face to face or phone or personal email is better than form letters.

So here goes...

The wildfires are terrifying. Not because they've been anywhere near me, but because they are evidence the climate scientists have been right all along, and a hellish future of floods, fires and famines awaits us sooner than we think. And we're just idling our cars with our “gas tax holiday” full tanks.

I was extremely disappointed to hear you briefly discuss the fires with Marcy on CBC the other morning and mention in passing the huge expense of purchasing more fire bombers, but not the reason we need them (climate change) and certainly not your failure to show any leadership on climate (pausing pollution pricing instead of embracing its potential).

Manitoba is a wonderful province and it has so much potential but we need to do so much better. And that leadership needs to come from the top.

Manitobans need massive mode shift – and it's going to take all levels of government to fund public transit within cities, between cities and increases of active transit pathways. Not another cent for road expansions. Mass transit isn't just better for the environment; it's a justice issue. A rich city isn't one where the poor drive cars but where the rich take public transit, as a mayor of Bogota has said.

Manitobans need a much better deal from Hydro to incentivize more solar installations. Hydro can't rest on its laurels with the power of dams – not with catastrophic droughts in our future.

Manitoba needs to update the building code to ensure that whatever weather we have, we don't need to use as much energy to protect ourselves from it.

Manitobans need to learn to value our waste better, and to work harder to ensure it can be reprocessed. It's shameful that we're among the last provinces to implement a deposit return system. The piddling $.10/pristine beer can is nowhere near enough in this economy.

There's plenty that needs to be done and there's great citizens groups like Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition, Citizens' Climate Lobby, Climate Change Connection and more that have plenty of strong suggestions for you. Please listen to them. It's long past time to move the needle in the opposite direction on climate change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...