Skip to main content

No fossil fuel expasion

A letter to the Manitoba government on their ludicrous plan. I can't remember where I found the template which I adjusted with my own comments, but it was probably from the Climate Action Team. Check out their resources for advocacy for a better energy future for Manitoba. 

Dear Premier, minister of the environment and minister of finance 

I am writing today to voice my utter horror regarding your government’s recent announcement of plans to build a new, $3 billion fossil gas power plant.

Could it get any more wrong at this moment?

Building new fossil fuel infrastructure that will fuel the climate crisis and keep us reliant on imported fossil gas from Alberta for decades to come is unacceptable. You haven't even tried to supplement our energy with solar, wind, heat pumps and district heat, to say nothing of improving efficiency so we simply need less.

My main concerns with this project are:

It expands fossil fuel use during an era of climate emergency.

After the summer of devastating wildfires that Manitoba just experienced, it is clearer now than ever that we are in a climate crisis, and we need to get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible. Manitobans like myself want a government that takes climate action seriously, and this project contradicts any progress your government has made on climate solutions.

  • It is a waste of public money.
  • We entrust the government to use public funds wisely, and spending $3 billion on a new fossil gas plant, that is only supposed to be turned on for a few days per year, does exactly the opposite. For only $1 billion, you could superinsulate buildings across Manitoba and just not need the same amount of energy this ridiculous power plant is supposed to supply.

  • It fails to put Manitoba on a path to clean energy and electrification.
  • We currently have such a path -- while everyone else including China and India are racing to catch up with us, why on earth would we choose to turn around and go in such a regressive direction?

  • Manitoba should be investing to capitalize on its solar and wind resources, paired with battery storage and neighbourhood- or even city-scale district heat.
  • These solutions are proven, reliable, and have seen dramatic cost reductions in recent years.

  • We should also be prioritizing funds for efforts to reduce electricity demand, such as scaling up geothermal and retrofits
  • It's completely tone-deaf and a refusal to perceive reality to act as though the future will be the same as today, and not one of crisis after emergency after tragedy, all of it surrounded with scarcity.

    There's no better time than the present for Manitobans to simply learn to to deal with energy shortages.

    Instead of ruining our green energy ratings to deal with an energy demand surge on one or two coldest days a year, let's put some creative strategies in place to reduce energy demand on those days: we must train Manitobans to unplug unnecessary power drains, temporarily shift energy sources and a host of other small mitigations which added together when all Manitobans participate, will achieve the reduction needed to keep demand within supply.

    Additionally, one can't help but suspect the rush to produce all this energy is not actually for Manitobans, but to supply data centres that will run down our water table and run up our electricity bills to absolutely no benefit whatsoever to Manitobans. Just say no to data centres.

As a concerned community member, the reason why I’m fighting for climate action is because I want to be able to breathe outside without a gas mask. I actually appreciate those miraculous -40 days when everything is still and sparkly and want to keep at least 1 around every year. I want to enjoy snowpack and to run out of places to shovel my snow in winter because it doesn't melt (not yoyoing back and forth between +2 and -20 all winter long with miserable and impassable sidewalks and bike lanes that are frozen ruts). I want to keep enjoying foods of all kinds and not starve as one freak weather event after another wipes out the crops of whole regions.

I demand you to invest in renewables, energy storage, and demand-side reductions, instead of new fossil fuel power.

As a first step, I hope your government will undertake and publish a full and transparent assessment of alternative sources of electricity generation and the remarkably large role reduction (insulating buildings) can play in reducing our energy demand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...