Skip to main content

Spring

Okay, maybe it's a bit late in the season to be saying it, but I love spring! It is so beautiful to see everything turning green. I love to observe the green buds sprouting from the trees and the grass become verdant.

That's something I missed in the Netherlands and have taken extra appreciation for ever since. Out there I really enjoyed seeing daffodils blooming as early as February, fields upon fields of tulips blooming in April, and flowering trees clothed in pink or white -- gloriously beautiful for a week or two, then dropping their petals in a rain of colour. But I kept waiting for those little buds I saw to turn into full-fledged leaves. I kept thinking "any day now, everything will be green." And sure enough, some two months after I started saying that, the trees finally displayed their full foliage.

I really don't have a favourite season -- their very existence is my favourite. I love the beginning of each season and usually weary of each by its end. So, it'll be quite the experience to not have a significant change of seasons for a whole year.

I remember in Burma (Myanmar) the light always threw me. In Manitoba, the daylight lasts a long time during summer, so when the weather is warm I naturally associate darkness with lateness. Consequently, it always felt so very late to me when we went for supper because it was almost dark already by the time we started eating, so I always expected it to be close to midnight by the time we got back to our lodgings and was shocked to discover it was only 8 or 9 o'clock. Again, it'll take some getting used to in Cameroon when darkness falls around 6 all the time for the whole year.

Comments

Rebs said…
yeah, that will be an adjustment. (one of many, I'm sure)
I remember going to bed at 6-ish and it being perfectly pitch black out and waking up at 5 or so. I think my parents only ever stayed up till about 8 or so - there wasn't much to do there after dark and we all were up early.
Honestly, you've never known darkness until you've experienced an African night.
and the stars are more beautiful there than anywhere else I've ever been.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...