Skip to main content

Update

Just a quick update to keep my readers coming back (sorry, no rants this time):

I was sounding very discouraged about the status of my fundraising last time, but I neglected to mention that my church has been really fabulous -- overwhelmingly supportive. They have set a goal to raise a substantial amount and are currently about halfway to reaching it. So I do have faith that it will all work out. (However, if you have intentions to give any funds, please send your pledge forms to World Team sooner rather than later so they can release me to actually leave when I'm supposed to on August 1.)

Not only are they supportive financially, but they've been really supportive with logistics as well. I guess it comes from half the church being former missionaries -- they know what it's like out on the field and want to provide as much encouragement and support as they can. They've formed a support team for me consisting of a team leader or coach, a logistics person, a fundraising coordinator, a communications coordinator and a re-entry coach. They're also running a Sunday School series based on the book Serving as Senders by Neal Pirolo in which they discuss aspects of the church's role in missions from discerning a call and commissioning workers, through logistics like fundraising, health insurance and power of attorney, to communicating while out in the field and re-entry support upon return.

It's quite overwhelming and I think "I really don't deserve this; I haven't earned this level of effort they're putting in for my sake." But that's what God's love is all about, isn't it? We don't deserve it; we could never earn it; it's a gift, freely given. So thank you, people of Crossroads, for modelling Christ-like-ness for me.

One last thing: please pray for Dan and Lisa as they've been in limbo for months now waiting for Joshua's (a Cameroonian boy they're adopting) citizenship papers to be processed. Pray that they will not become discouraged as their furlough is consumed with all the hurry-up-and-wait of dealing with bureaucracy. Pray that Joshua's paperwork will be processed as soon as possible and that appointments with immigration officers will happen in a timely fashion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...