Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

The team here is binational: One half of each couple is Canadian while the other is American. As a result, instead of celebrating Thanksgiving twice, it more often happens that Thanksgiving is neglected altogether. This year, Canadian Thanksgiving was upon us before we noticed it and American Thanksgiving looks to be a busy time, so we arbitrarily selected a date in between and to ensure we celebrated it.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 was the day. Our feast consisted of chicken pieces, mashed potatoes, homemade stuffing, a lettuce salad, and mango pie (hey, the colour is right) for dessert. All the elements of the traditional meal were there, just not exactly the way we're used to them. Both families ate together for the noon meal; the kids in the kitchen at the supper table while the adults ate on the coffee table in the living room. One of the girls was running a high fever, so the rest of us--who'd been dragging with sniffles and cold all week--were thankful we weren't sicker.

It was a regular school and work day, so there wasn't much hoopla otherwise, though the visiting homeschool coordinator did manage to read a bunch of Thanksgiving-themed books for the younger kids. After cleaning up the food and the little bit of decorations we rustled up on short notice, it was back to life as usual, the holiday duly observed and put behind us.

I must mention the chickens, though. The men had brought back two chickens from market in Kumba for our meal. Neither Becky nor Lisa were entirely confident of how to prepare them, but they pulled if off splendidly. Before Becky attacked the chickens, however, she called me to see how they'd been packed up. They were rather sad-looking chickens (size-wise and colour) compared to the hearty Hutterite chickens I've become accustomed to in Vinh's kitchen, but the shock came from peeking inside. I'm familiar with the gizzard and heart being placed back inside the bird in a little bag, but these birds also contained the head and feet! (You certainly wouldn't want to waste those, would you? [Shudder] I think Bruno, Scotts' dog, was the beneficiary this time.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...