Skip to main content

The curious effect of rainforest on...

Obvious effects of rainforest on objects are mould (e.g. shoe leather) and a grossly shortened lifespan for electronics. But the humidity and heat of the rainforest also has a curious effect on other things:


Rubber/plastic
Who would've expected that constant humidity and persistently above-room-temperature environment would lead to brittleness in plastic? Tupperware/plastic containers--a valuable item here to keep creepy crawlies out of food--take a beating, especially the lids which crack without warning after a certain interval of use.


Hair
I'm not a girly girl who spends a whole lot of time, money, or energy on my hair, but, slob that I am, even I noticed a difference in my hair here. Sure, I've always known a certain amount of humidity makes for happy hair, but I thought that mostly applied to curly-haired people. For one, I don't need to use conditioner. Two, static is unheard of.


Tinfoil
That an old roll of tinfoil would start to discolour after a while is not so surprising, but to lose its shine completely, turn a cloudy grey and iridescent purple & pink colour on the inside of the roll is most interesting; and to retain its proper appearance on a 1-inch stretch on the inside of the outer edge of the roll is quite remarkable.


Candy
Hard candies, of course, turn soft, but jelly candies, just to be contrary, turn hard!


Mould
It is to be expected that mould would grow heartily on the rainforest on, for example, 3 day-old bread left out despite its being encased in sealed Tupperware. That mould would grow on the magnetic tape of cassette tapes and on seldom-used CDs, however, is a considerable surprise.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bigger dreams for a livable city

A message to a mayoral candidate Just a few thoughts arising from the BW ride with the ED.  1) That bridge connecting Edmonton and Scott across the Assiniboine would be nice, of course. But we don't have the money to even build it, much less to build all the other bridges that would be desired.  The reason that a downtown AT bridge is so greatly desired is because the city *somehow* failed to put a bike lane on the Osborne Bridge when they rehabbed it in 2010ish, despite the fact that is was in *all the plans*.  Meanwhile there *are* three bridges downtown. Yes, they all have their challenges for cyclists, but there *are* three bridges.  Whereas Maryland to Omand's Creek is a *very* long stretch with *no bridges whatsoever* (except that sewage bridge at Aubrey taunting every pedestrian or cyclist who has to bike kms out of their way to connect from Cambridge to Sherburn. Poop can cross here but humans cannot.).  Since we do not have all the money in the world to...

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

The responsibility of those who go

I just had a meeting with my support group/sending team from my church tonight and again I'm blown away. I can't believe how intentional and involved they are. I'm only going away for 10 months; it doesn't seem like such a huge deal to me but they are so excited for me, so encouraging, so eager to be of help, and so full of wisdom. A significant portion of my church are former missionaries, a number of them to places in Africa, so there's a good deal of experience backing up their words, and I'm sure their input will be invaluable when I return and am all messed up and unable to cope with Canadian life. Actually, everyone I've told about my plans seems to be really excited for me. When I think about it like that, I realize I have a responsibility to those people. One thing I've always struggled with in regards to shorter term cross-cultural missions is that by the time you've worked through all the cultural, practical, linguistic, and logistic issues...