Skip to main content

Three Corners market

The girls had been to 3 Corners market at Christmas time and wanted to go again. I also wished to see the local area market which convenes Mondays and Thursdays, so I'd promised to take them sometime, but had yet to feel in control enough of their schoolwork to allow a day off for such an excursion. They finally left off asking me, appealed to a higher authority, and got their wish granted. I weighed in, however, on transportation, insisting we WALK.

On a Thursday morning, Becky, Elsie, Christy, Rachel, Kenneth, and I hoisted empty backpacks & full waterbottles, and set out for the bazaar. Given the way the girls had talked about the journey I was expecting a long arduous trek, so I was surprised to discover the opposite end of Big Bekondo marks nearly halfway there. Of course, I'd travelled the way many times by truck, but it's funny how riding in a vehicle skews your perspective on manageable distances.

The ramshackle shelters housing the market were not as chock-a-bloc full as I might have expected, nor as busy with customers, but the place was undoubtedly a market selling the usual variety from clothing to foodstuffs to household goods. Both African cloths and Western clothes were for sale. One area was devoted to ladies selling huge piles of cassava. Some ladies sold a wide collection of spices of many sizes, shapes and consistencies--nearly each of which, to my queries, she replied was "for making pepe soup".

Wandering through, keeping my eyes open for anything interested or useful, the abundance of graters--probably used to shred cocoyams to make gari--caught my eye. "Home-made; nice!" I thought. When I saw the underside of one, however, I realized how very homemade they were: simply a round metal tin, bottom removed, opened along one side, flattened, and punctured repeatedly with a nail. Puts a whole new spin on recycling.

The meat vendors were interesting, but best not to look too closely. The men at one stall agreed to let me snap a picture of their cattle's legs--hooves still attached-then helpfully held up the floppy hide of a cow's head for me to "snap" as well. Just ignore the flies buzzing around.

Three Corners market is at the site of the duck pond (also known as the road through town), but I managed to keep a safe distance from most of the geese wandering through the stalls.

We went early in the morning for the best weather and the least disruption of school, so the restaurants were only getting started for the day when we left. No foodcourt here, but randomly scattered throughout the market were small restaurant stalls with a cooking fire in the middle, benches lining the edges. Pepe soup, fufu and sauce appeared to be on order in most of them. Customers were only beginning to congregate for the cooking as we collected ourselves and took to the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...