Skip to main content

His light for our darkness



Christmas Day has passed, but we are still in the season of Christmas, made famous, though rarely acknowledged or understood, by the "12 days of Christmas" song, so I post my seasonal editorial here, slightly revised from its first, published version.


In the scope of history, there was nothing new about the shift in government this past October. Routinely, Canadians tire of Conservative austerity, welcoming Liberal prodigality with a wave of votes. A few terms later, the tide reverses; Canadians clamour for Conservative restraint after Liberal excess. The cycle repeats.
Yet, this election upset felt different to many. People spoke of the landside change less in terms of policy and more in terms of emotion: hope.
In some ways, the rhetoric of fear that permeated the pre-election landscape is found in our conference and churches as well. How did this happen to followers of the author of hope?
The things we fear
As millions of displaced people seek shelter, we in safer corners of the world are afraid. We fear the refugees who long to enter our borders. Their needs could overtax our social system. Their differences will test Canadian values of freedom and non-discrimination.
We’re afraid of people from other religions. Recognizing the potential for violence in our own holy book, we fear the seeds of violence Islam might sow. A neighbour might be a terrorist. Worse, devout new blocs of religious could edge out our corner on the spiritual marketplace.
We’re afraid of the sins of the church. We don’t want to talk about the harm Canada perpetuated on indigenous peoples. As Mennonites, we hide behind our historic isolationism, distancing ourselves from the residential school mistakes of both mainline denominations and the government.
The fear burrows into our own church. There was fear at our study conference. We’re afraid that people who don’t fit our categories of normal will disrupt our churches. We’re afraid the widening culture of “anything goes” will drown out the Bible’s call to a narrow path, and that dissonant personal experiences will shake our convictions from their mooring in Scripture.
We’re afraid our churches will shrink or that our denomination will fracture apart. We worry the money will simply run out.
But, whose church is it? Ours or God’s?
Turn to the light
We’re celebrating Advent and looking toward Christmas now. Just as the twinkling LEDs of our decorations usher cheer into the lengthening night in our northern home, so the Christ-light of hope, peace, joy and love pierces even the darkest social or theological problem.
The temptation to despair is natural. Across humankind, our default is set to fear. That nearly every book of the Bible contains some encouragement not to be afraid suggests the hearers were routinely leaning in that direction.
Rather than staring into the abyss of our problems, the Bible urges us to turn our gaze to the light, to the One who commands his servants from Genesis to Revelation: Don’t be afraid, because…
I am your protector (Genesis 15:1, Judges 6:23, Job 5:21, Ezekiel 3:9).
I have heard your crying (Genesis 21:17, Daniel 10:12).
I am with you (Genesis 26:24, Joshua 1:9).
I will deliver you (Exodus 14:13, Numbers 21:34, 2 Chronicles 20:17).
I will grant you peace (Leviticus 26:6, Psalm 29:11, Proverbs 3:24, John 14:27, Romans 5:1).
I will fight for you (Deuteronomy 3:22).
I will provide (1 Kings 17:13).
I am your salvation (Isaiah 35:4).
I will cause you to prosper (Jeremiah 17:8).
I will make you a blessing (Zechariah 8:13).
I will give you the words to say (Mark 13:11).
I care about you (Matthew 10:31, 1 Peter 5:7).
I have a purpose for you (Luke 5:10).
I will rescue you (Acts 27:24).
I am the beginning and the end (Revelation 1:17).
Sometimes there is miraculous intervention, but just as often, God simply assures that he is with us and he cares. In that knowledge, we can set our hearts and minds at ease whether turmoil engulfs or troubles dissipate.
Circumstance need not cause us to fear; the deeper truth is that the Creator’s reach extends into every darkness, Jesus walks with us through the deepest valleys and the Spirit’s guiding light cannot be snuffed out.
As we string our Christmas lights, let’s call the church to its own revolution of hope, based not a new government (that will inevitably introduce bad policies), nor on well-meaning leaders (who will eventually disappoint), but on the Prince of Peace whose coming into the world we celebrate at this time.
May we heed the words of the angel that first Christmas: “Do not be afraid…” (Luke 2:10).

Comments

I enjoyed this article when I read it in the Herald, and I enjoyed it again here.

Reading it here for some reason reminded me of an interview I listened to with Jurgen Moltmann for the 40th anniversary of The Crucified God (have you read it? It's on my To Read list). At one point the interviewer asked Moltmann how he could continue being a theologian of hope -- how he could continue to hope as Christian -- in the face of a world that is unjust, full suffering, and full of disasters. After a short pause, Motlmann asnwered, 'I hope as a protest.'

Thanks for you thoughts and reminders to hope.
kar0ling said…
Good ol' Jurgs. Good answer.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...