Skip to main content

Fines without teeth

The heat is on: no more frozen bus rides, province vows

The heat is on: no more frozen rides

From the FreeP: 

"After years of headlines about frigid rides to and from Winnipeg, heat on commercial buses will be mandatory this winter, the province announced Monday."

"Bus operators must examine their heat systems daily and provincial bus inspectors will conduct random stops. They will have the authority to place any vehicle that doesn’t comply out of service."

I've never sat on an unheated bus from Thompson, so maybe I'm wrong and it is in fact better to have no ride than a cold ride.

Just threatening operators with random inspectors and grounded buses seems like punishing the passengers, though. How about just going straight to the fine (maybe don't bench the bus unless the bus company is a repeat offender?) and making it hurt: $10,000.

"If a company is caught disobeying rules, it will be fined either $174, $298 or a combined total of $472, depending on the case."

“The fines haven’t been reviewed for some time,” Naylor said, asked if the charges were severe enough. “We are open to reviewing the fines.”

This "ground the bus" rule punishes the bus companies in the kind of way that incentivizes them not change, risk fines, and if worse comes to worst, just shut down (since they have to pay to fix a bus plus lose passenger revenue for the time the bus is out of service getting fixed). 

Either way, passengers are stuck.

Instead, give violators a fine that says "we are icily serious about this". A fine that says "it will be cheaper for you to fix your buses now rather threatening passengers lives while you play chicken with inspectors."

Sigh. Why are Manitoba institutions so averse to fines that actually make a point? 

Well, they are happy to ding just-trying-their-best homeowners with massive fines for firefighting costs should a being-worked-on house catch fire. Likely as not the reason the house is considered vacant is that the owner is stalled on their renovations, waiting for a city inspector to come and give them a permit to proceed. 

But folks who intentionally undertake reckless behaviour to cause harm -- bus company operators who knowingly run buses without heat for hours-long trips in well-below freezing weather, motorists who exceed posted speedlimits by measures of 10s not 1s -- these folks get slap-on-the wrist fines. Less than $500 for having risked 20-40 people's live to hypothermia. Only a few hundred (decidedly less than annual insurance costs) for wanton and reckless speeding.

Government interference on personal liberties may not be something we should take lightly or welcome without critical thinking, but failing to use government powers to restrict/punish/reduce severely antisocial behaviour that clearly endangers innocent bystander's safety is just irresponsible. Risking others' lives for your own jollies or to pad your pocketbook isn't a valid exercise of personal freedom.

Comments

kar0ling said…
Or the reverse: punishing seniors community clubs with astronomic fee increases. So short-sighted to cut community centre funding!
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/09/26/seniors-fear-rec-programs-in-jeopardy-by-escalating-facility-fees

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...