Skip to main content

Rail relocation

I can't get through a news article without wanting to react so I'm here to exorcise my need to opine. 

"The NDP government has retained former federal cabinet minister Lloyd Axworthy to lead an ambitious, two-year study into the relocation of rail lines and yards that currently occupy high-value property in Winnipeg’s core, the Free Press has learned.

"Sources confirmed Premier Wab Kinew will announce Axworthy’s appointment on Tuesday."

It's frustrating to see projects become political footballs and thus take 10 times as long to get done as need be. Do we need endless studies? Isn't it clear that this now secondary rail yard isn't needed in the centre of the city anymore and that its presence actually harms the city?

I'm shocked and frustrated that all the handwringing about replacing the Arlington Bridge has not yet to my awareness raised the subject of rail relocation! Why are we planning to build a very expensive bridge with an extremely long span when we could instead use some of that budget to move rail lines and then build either a much shorter (and thus less complicated and expensive) bridge, or possibly even not need a bridge at all but only a road connecting the North End to the West End?   

The reference to relocating spur lines, however, worries me. Parallel to Kenaston (death to cyclists), only a few blocks over, there used to be a wonderful spur line that would have been perfect for a much needed north-south active transportation path, so there would be a highway for cyclists and pedestrians to move easily through the city without getting driven over by impatient motorists acting with impunity. But no, in a city that needs to be dragged kicking and screaming to agree to even a single infill site, somehow the one thing you shouldn't build infill on -- old rail lines that provide fantastic corridor options for tram lines, busways, cycle paths, etc. -- was very quickly built up with infill housing. 

I fear the same with this rail relocation plan when it comes to spur lines. 

I also fear what happened to Edmonton where the train station has been moved out by the airport, nearly an hour's drive out of town, making it even more inconvenient to take the train than it already is.  

The article goes on to say that although NDP premier Greg Selinger was looking into a rail relocation plan, Conservative premier Brian Pallister had no interest in a plan that would cost up to $1billion dollars. I shake my head at how no one even blinks at expanding Kenaston (worse than unnecessary: adding lanes to address congestion has been proven time and again to fail to achieve its goal) for... you guessed it... $1billion. 

$1billion looks so much different depending on who you are spending it on, you see. 

And it's nothing to spend 100s of millions on consultants fees over and over and over again before a project can even begin to become real enough to start planning for. Granted, this probably significantly overvalues the contributions university students can make, but... what if instead of paying a professional consultant $200 million to blow smoke, we just got university students in planning and engineering departments to do it for free, and, thus inspired by grandiose visions, we just buckled down to real brass tacks and got it done?

Okay, reading on, I finally see what I needed to hear:

"Axworthy and Finnegan noted that although relocation was an expensive proposition, it could actually save the city billions of dollars in the long run. For example, the relocation of rail lines and the Canadian Pacific Railways yards in downtown Winnipeg would relieve the city of the need to rebuild the Arlington Bridge at an estimated cost of more than $200 million."

And with this brain dump, I will retire. This is probably far too raw to publish but I'm going to do it anyway and come back and revise it in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...