Skip to main content

Blue skies


Monday was the day! 

Commutes during that first week of days of April were 90% percent dry pavement with just a few slippery treacherous spots so I was seriously questioning keeping The Fatgirl on the road. All the bike folks on the Discord were keeping their studs for the morning ice though, so I heeded their wisdom.

Friday I almost switched on a whim to Omafiets but realized it wasn't an easy thing to do as none of my panniers I had on the go would fit on the rack. 

The first 100 metres of my commute were 90% ice so I was glad I stayed with The Fatgirl.

But as the weather stayed warm all weekend, I decided it was time. Greased up the chain, wiped off the dust and took the Skyline for a spin. 

The first ride after winter is always disorienting: the handlebars are so narrow; the bike feels a bit tippy, and I can roll for so long with just a few rotations of the cranks.

Another lovely feature of the summer bike is being able to trip the garage door. I don't know if it's the tires or something about the alloy of the frame, but The Fatgirl is rarely able to trigger the garage door to open.i often need to spend several minutes passing soda pop cans over the cuts in the pavement that hit at where the induction loop is buried. (A single errant can, dribbling past can trip the door when I'm dumpster diving for scrap metal but somehow several cans artfully placed in that exact spot struggle to do it.)

The bars are so wide -- and I sometimes have a big load hanging off other side of the rear rack -- that it's really unpleasant to try to navigate a narrow hallway and multiple doors. So I persist but I grumble.

Thus I'm very grateful to save garage door opening time with the Skyline (and Omafiets) who can with a single roll prompt the door to open. 

Blue skies and smooth sailing from here on. Except of course, when they're grey and pouring rain. 

PS I'm also on Bluesky and finding it just as much fun as Twitter but minus the fascist, white-supremacist, narcissist, empathy-despising owner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...