Skip to main content

Bubble zone discussion side-tracked by bias

 

Dear Free Press

Re: “Bubble zones sought after protests clash over Hamas” AKA “Pro-Palestinian protest at Jewish campus sparks call for safety-zone legislation”

Thank you for changing the headline of Chris Kitching’s article on the event by Students Supporting Israel at the Asper Community Campus.

The body of the article raises good questions about the appropriateness of protesting religious spaces.

However, even after the removal of the gross mischaracterization from the headline, the second paragraph of the article gratuitously invokes Hamas, biasing the discussion.

Why does the article prominently invoke memory of the violent and cruel attack on October 7, 2023, without any mention of the more salient point that the event that raised the discussion platformed soldiers of the army that has been committing a genocide for more than 500 days?

(The Rome Statute, of which Canada is a signatory, defines war crimes and genocide and other states’ obligations not to participate in or supporter perpetrators. The International Court of Justice has more than a year ago ruled it is plausible that the state of Israel is guilty of genocide. Yet the slaughter and destruction has not only continued but intensified.)

We should have discussions about protecting the privilege of religious persons to practice their faith traditions unharassed. But in so doing, we must acknowledge that when religiously-designated spaces function like community centres, hosting all kinds of events with other emphases, including overtly political and ideological matters, clear principles for protecting religious zones become harder to discern.

But it’s especially difficult to come to fair conclusions if discussions start with inflammatory conversation stoppers and unmentioned facts.

**The FreeP only wants to publish letters that are original, so I’m holding off publishing this for a while until I’m sure they won’t use it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...