Untiring hands

I cried out to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
at night I stretched out untiring hands,
and I would not be comforted.--Psalm 77:1-2.

This psalm grabbed me, not because I'm in distress, in a desperate situation needing help, but because of the persistence of the psalmist. Stretching out untiring hands.... My guess is those hands are not untired physically, but the weight of supplication behind them gives them strength to carry on. The weight of faith that in due course, an answer will come, and until then, there is a listening ear for the groans of anguish and despair.

For such faith was Abraham credited with righteousness. For a faith that could be obedient unto sacrificing the most precious thing is granted justification. (Romans 4:1-5)

One does not wish for trouble; in fact, in my pathology, even when it finds me, I avoid it, but there is a sense that true and deep growth is found there. Biding time waiting for an answer with a spirit focused on God, like the psalmist, is an opening to a new level of understanding and love.

Your ways, God, are holy.
What god is as great as our God?
You are the God who performs miracles;
you display your power among the peoples.
With your mighty arm you redeemed your people.--Psalm 77:13-15

Comments

Popular Posts