Skip to main content

A stream of consciousness through the lectionary

Warning: I rip the lid off a can of words here, and make very little effort to clean up the mess. But somehow, in the midst of it, I think I caught a fish.

There are many and varied passages in the daily lectionary today (as every day), and to be frank, most of it is vaguely disturbing.

In Deuteronomy, we have God's beautiful promise to keep his covenant of love with Israel. But that is held in tension with a) God's having chosen one people to be set apart and loved above others (so it seems), and b) the speedy retribution to be meted out against any who stand against God. That beautiful covenant of love -- does it not pay a large part in Zionist zeal to be the only ones to occupy land in the territory historically possessed by the twelve tribes of Israel? What's a person to do with such a jealous and hot-tempered God?

Then we move to Titus, where Paul effuses graceful words about truth, hope, godliness, salvation, then goes on to not only repeat but affirm slanderous slogans about a national people, and calls them detestable. This after demanding the "circumcision group" be silenced. What was that about grace and peace, Paul?

It's difficult to know how to understand these words. In what context were they spoken? To whom? By whom? Why is the inspired word of God so puzzling, so offensive, so inscrutable?

I don't know. And I'm not going to tackle it here.

Another Lenten confession: I pick and choose. Things I like are to be taken at face value, things I don't must need interpretation. Surely there's a context for Paul's slurs against Cretans; maybe an ironic tone is clearly communicated to his audience but imperceptible to us. Maybe God doesn't really mean it when he says he won't be slow to repay those who hate him. In fact, in my experience, it seems slow to repay is exactly what God is toward those who hate him, which, given how my disobedience and impotence to exercise discipline or do the right thing could be interpreted as hating God, is pretty good news for me.

On that thought -- those who hate God -- Psalm 37 sounded like something to take literally. "Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong;...Trust in the LORD and do good;... Take delight in the LORD,...Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him." Those ellipses represent promises of prosperity, which again, I pick and choose, interpreting more as general ideals than iron-clad guarantees.

My 'take-home,' that which provides my framework of understanding this psalm, is this:
"Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil."

Do not fret about others; be patient; trust in the Lord and do good. Promises or not, this is what I need to hear -- and to heed. I don't like it because it's easy; I like it because it's right.

For today, that's my fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

The anti-bike blog

OR I do not think [that word] means what you think it means It has become a weekly, almost daily occurrence. A how-to article or blog post will come across my path – usually in my facebook feed – touting the wonders of winter cycling. Not one to learn a lesson quickly, I keep clicking on them. Inevitably, I navigate away in frustration. It’s fun! It’s easy! Anyone can do it! You don’t need special gear; you can even look chic while you’re doing it. Oh, and get off your high horse – being a winter cyclist doesn’t make you special. This is the message of all these articles. Lies, I tell you. Now, far be it from me to dissuade people from cycling, but I think we may need different words for the varying circumstances that fall under the umbrella term “winter cycling.” Take Vancouver and Seattle, for example, where bicycle enthusiasts will talk about “winter” cycling. I’ll grant you that a bone-chilling, relentless, drenching rain is its own special brand of miserable to bi...