Skip to main content

Don't be afraid

How often we hear the message; how rarely we believe. Or is it just me?

This injunction against fear is a thread through today's lectionary passages. Psalm 23 -- the classic psalm of comfort, where "thou preparest a table in the presence of mine enemies." Psalm 27 -- "The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?....Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD. "

Jeremiah, today, tells us to fear the Lord, but that's a whole different kind of fear than the terror of people and situations that holds us back. The fear of the Lord, rather, is what sets us free from the fear of failure, the fear of others' opinions of us, the fear of not being good enough, fear of the unknown, and the list goes on. Similarly, as Romans talks about the law and how it teaches us to be conscious of sin, teaches also that we have nothing to fear because "our righteousness comes through faith in Jesus Christ" (3:22).

And in John, Jesus walks that fine balance between fearlessness and prudence -- keeping out of the way of those who want to kill him, but not letting that stop his ministry.

Thus girded with these reminders, can I say "Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea" (Psalm 46:2)? I need no great calamity to test my resolve; it shall be enough to remember in each tiny moment of worry and doubt that "The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...