Skip to main content

Shared humanity?

"He too shared in their humanity."--Hebrews 2:14

This is the common thread I seized upon in today's lectionary readings. He too shared in our humanity and can thus understand what it is to be in the simultaneously vulnerable and powerful position that is humanity.

Perhaps it is forced, but this is what jumped out at my from the passages (besides the fact that to this pragmatic Mennonite, the occasional verse in a psalm is beautiful and touching, but most of that content is bewilderingly melodramatic).

Psalm 41 goes off on a strange rant, but starts in a surprising but instructive manner: "Blessed are those who have regard for the weak." It goes on to promise them all kinds of good things, which I suppose also speaks to the human condition. We need to be instructed to look out for those not ourselves and our loved ones...and it helps to promise some kind of reward. Instant blessings, however, are belied by the very next paragraph where the psalmist pleads for mercy, afflicted and scorned, but trusting God in the end.

"Praise be to the God is Israel," it ends. But I keep circling back to the beginning: "blessed are those who have regard for the weak." Not as easy as it sounds, even when you've been there. Thanks for the reminder.

The Deuteronomy passage seems to have some circular logic, but maybe that's a translation problem ("be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God...Otherwise,...you will forget the LORD your God"). Again, I read this thinking however you want to attribute these words (falling directly from the mouth of God or mediated by the culture and perspective of the writer), somebody in this picture knows something of human inclinations. "When you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God" (8:12-14). How quickly we forget our gratefulness when things are going well. How quickly we forget the bitter blessing of needing help from others when it seems possible to do everything on our own. How quickly we forget what it's like to be outside the circle once we've joined the inner ranks. "But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth" (vs 18).

"For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants" Hebrews 2:16. Having grown up in a mainly evangelical context, I'm always jarred when New Testament writers make such off-hand, matter-of-fact references to angels. With the exception of our brief period of being enamored with Frank Peretti's Piercing the Darkness, we prefer to pretend angels don't exist. Those "spooky new-age folk" and "peculiar Catholics" who refer to angels are obviously theologically deluded. But these kind of random angel reference remind me though I really don't know enough about some other presentations of angels to judge whether their cherry picking of verses is sufficient to justify them as "biblical," but I do feel comfortable suggesting evangelicals give angels another look.

However, all of that is completely tangential to the passage, which is about Jesus calling us brothers and sisters. Jesus being able to understand our condition, having been there himself. Jesus having not merely demonstrated mastery over death by triumphing over it, but also showing compassion to humans by living out the great crosscultural adage of "walking a mile in our shoes/sandals/moccasins/flipflops/Manolos." Whereas the resurrection inspires awe, gratefulness, and respect, Jesus' earthly life inspires love and the possibility of relationship.

And because he is a person, not a book; a story, not a set of rules, there are all kinds of puzzling pieces to keep us off-guard. What exactly are we supposed to take from the wedding at Cana story? Jesus' mother wheedles him into doing something he doesn't seem to want to do. His actions seem to promote, or at least condone public drunkenness, to say nothing of saving the cheapskate's reputation from the trashcan. What a bizarre "first of the signs through which he revealed his glory" (John 2:11)!

"He too shared in their humanity." There isn't much we can say he couldn't possible understand. What do we do to understand -- and obey -- what he asks of us?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...