Walk in obedience

“‘This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Go ahead, add your burnt offerings to your other sacrifices and eat the meat yourselves! For when I brought your ancestors out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices, but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you.”--Jeremiah 7:21-23

Walk in obedience to all I command you.

Given the work I've been doing lately, my first inclination -- to ask, "so, Karla, what does this mean for you; to what tasks and attitudes is the Lord calling you?" -- was quickly superseded with the thought that Scripture was written to and for and delivered to and for people; a group, not merely individuals. (This time I can cite my sources: Tim Geddert, Doug Heidebrecht, and Brad Sumner. See the May 2011 MB Herald.) So while "what does this mean for me?" is a good question, we should not forget to ask "what does this mean for us?

To what tasks, to what attitudes, to what actions, is God calling the church -- locally, nationally, and globally -- in his mission?

Comments

Popular Posts