Skip to main content

FES starts

FES (Field Education System) started last night with a wonderful ice-breaker games kick-off. My favourite thing to do. Not exactly. For one of the games we each had a small bean bag on our head and had to move around the room, following instructions such as "walk backwards," "hop on one foot," etc., without holding the bag nor having it fall off. A few Cameroonian kids who live on the compound were watching through the windows as we did this and I couldn't help but think they must think us crazy! Here's these strange white people challenged and amused by walking with a little bean bag on their head when the Cameroonian woman carry on their heads anything from their Bibles on the way home from church to a sewing machine across town!

Working with my strengths, this morning I was assigned to help in the Grade 5 Math class, and then to watch the pre-schoolers for the remainder of the morning. Can you see the sarcasm dripping from that statement? Actually, it worked out fine because Grade 5 Math is still fairly basic so I managed to stay at least half a second ahead of the kids, and the pre-schoolers were fine because they were happy to be read stories to all morning.

In the afternoon, I sat in on the "Art" class, which is more of a cooking class as it aligns with out FES theme "chocolate." We did some chocolate tasting as we talked about cocoa and cocoa butter ratios and "tempering" and "bloom." (Bloom is that nasty grey coating on old or excessively warmed then cooled chocolate. It's the result of the cocoa butter separating out. The cocoa butter is what provides some of the sweet taste, and the smooth texture, so that's why "bloomed" chocolate is not as tasty. There is, however, nothing wrong with it, so go ahead and eat that Tempo chocolate!) The farmers in Big Bekondo grow cocoa beans so shortly after we return to the village, I am led to believe we will participate in the September chocolate harvest, so I look forward to seeing a side of the chocolate process that is heretofore unknown to me. The rest of the afternoon I spent in the library, doing data entry.

As to weather, did I mention it's quite cool here? People have used the word "cold" but I don't think that's necessary. I have been less than warm in my skirts and sleeveless tops, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it cold, and have avoided wearing my fleece (my one token warm longsleeved shirt) as much as possible. It was so hot when I left Canada, and Lisa so impressed on me the hot climate in the village that her one comment on it being cooler in Bamenda didn't result in packing any appropriate clothing. But I think I'll just savour being "coolish" for a while before I get hit with the relentless heat I'm told to expect in Big Bekondo.

Comments

lasselanta said…
My favourite part of the chocolate process? Watching the kids at a cocoa-breaking, sucking the gooey white coating off the cocoa beans and then spitting them (minus the goo) back into the bucket. Yup.

Actually, the goo tastes quite good. Not a bit like chocolate, but kind of sweet/sour.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...