Skip to main content

Olfactory observations

Smells. Maybe I'm hyper-aware after one character in The Poisonwood Bible commented on it, but I sure have noticed smells here. To be crude and less than flattering, I could echo the sentiment I read or heard recently to the effect of "the smell of Africa is body odour." Nearly all Cameroonians I've met (and some Africans of other extractions I've met elsewhere in life) carry this pungent and striking smell, no matter how well-dressed and well-spoken they are. I don't say this as a criticism so much as an observation.

My nose has also caught the smell of burning garbage (from the compound's incinerator), of Malathion (from the worker spraying in the resthouse compound in Douala) and of course, the library.

The library is built on a hill, with a half-round circulation desk, and back office on the level of the door while the books and a play area are down 5 steps. A skylight above the reading table in the far half of the room has the place so well lit I spent a few minutes trying to find the switch to "turn off the light." But the greatest impression the library makes upon entrance is olfactory. You know that musty-old-books smell? Imagine hundreds of books of varying ages (majoring in old) neatly ordered on shelves, doing their regular bookdust manufacturing...then add a tropical climate with a rainy season, high humidity, and the rampant dust of dry season.

But I digress from the senses to a matter of time. Not yet here one week and they're already trying to get me to stay forever. I'm not surprised and I view their efforts with amusement, not rancour, but I hadn't expected it so soon. They really ought to wait and see if I'll make a decent tutor/worker of any kind before they invite me to inflict myself upon them for longer than the allotted time! Becky asked today exactly how long I was planning to stay and said Elsie wanted me for a month to help her with the library and her myriad sundry tasks.

Though I can't help but be interested, I've made no promises either way: the plan, I always said, was to be here 10 months. But I've ever acknowledged that plans go awry, or simply change, so the possibilities that a) I'll return to Winnipeg in 10 months as planned, b) I'll stay on longer in Cameroon or return soon after a short period in Canada, or c) necessity or circumstances will bring me home long before May 2008 are all equally open at this point. Who am I to tell God what He's supposed to do with my life?

Comments

lasselanta said…
I hear you! (on all of the above!)

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...