Skip to main content

Rainy season

It's a learning process, I tell you. I've never quite understood what rainy season meant. I mean, I understood the words, of course, but I had no instinctive sense of what it meant. I think I'm beginning to get a feeling for it.

Today, it rained. I guess it has rained every day I've been in Cameroon, but all other days except for my arrival it has waited till after dark. Today, I woke to the sound of rain hammering the roof.

I've never had much use for umbrellas. In Manitoba, and in the Netherlands (and my two weeks in England, for that matter), it's always too windy for them to be entirely useful. I'd rather just dress right and be prepared to get wet than to expect this pidly metal frame stretched with thin material to actually protect me, and then get soaked when -- inevitably -- it doesn't. But here, where the rain quite cooperatively falls straight down, whether in torrents or a more manageable shower, here I think I will learn to use an umbrella. I find I'm rather awkward with it at this point; the whole juggling things in one hand, an umbrella in the other, and worse, the part about opening and closing it at the proper time so as not to get wet, and not to get anything else wet.

The grass (which is more of a luxurious carpet of low, long-leafed weeds) hid rivulets of water coursing down the hill, so I cut across the grass to reach the path and found my flipflops engulfed in the carpet of water just below the green.

FES kicked off this evening and I spent much of the day supervising the girls (Jenny, Christy and one Grade 5 FES participant) decorating the conference hall (classrooms and eating area) dividers with this year's theme: chocolate. The girls are dears, and well-behaved, but by the end I was ready to pull out my hair. I'm assuming it will be better, though, when I'm teaching them all day because we'll have structure, not just an endless day of being creative.

They're such bright and confident kids, I forget they're actually kids and do need help with some things. That, and I haven't worked with this age for a while. I'll need to remember they're still growing and learning. But my confidence that I will survive this year without too much damage to either the kids or me is still unshaken, even after putting together the box of curriculum materials for all four kids (3 Scotts and 1 Friesen) yesterday (which was initially quite daunting).

Onwards and upwards! (and hey, I get to read aloud to the little kids every day for the duration of FES!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...