Skip to main content

And here I thought the fun was over

Rainy season is supposed to be over, and with it the impassable roads. Mind you, dry season doesn't mean good roads, it means less-bad roads. But it's been raining more often than normal, and we had a hearty rain before Dan and I left Kumba on Saturday evening. To make matters more exciting, it was just before dark. But Dan likes to sleep in his own bed, trusts his truck, and doesn't mind a bit of adventure. And we were giving a ride to two Oroko men. It's a mutually beneficial relationship -- they get a free ride home and are around to help dig if we get stuck and provide some insurance against getting hassled by gendarmes, bandits, or unscrupulous locals.

The infamous hole in Kake was the first obstacle. We noticed on our way out of Kumba that fortunately most of the big trucks had taken a pass on trying to get through that night and were pulled over on the side of the road. So it wasn't a big truck stuck in the Kake hole that was forcing cars to scale the steep slippery hill of the "detour," it was a jacked-up Toyota Hilux 4x4 that had stalled out in the middle of the hole; drowned out as the pooled water reached past his back bumper.

There's nothing like a bad spot in the road to bring a crowd of young men, eager to earn a few francs for pushing. As we approached the key point they began to swarm around but Dan warned them off, "You no need for push me, I get good tires," and we screamed up the hill, nearly climbing the up the other side of the hill as well with the force of our thrust.

"Is this still as fun as snowstorms?" Dan asked further along the road. "You bet!" I answered, as we went into a skid, weaving back and forth across the road a few times before straightening out. "That part there reminded me an awful lot of winter driving."

Then there's the old duck pond in front of Three Corners market. It still blows my mind that a town would allow the section of road directly in front of their community market -- frequented by all the surrounding towns -- to be a perpetual puddle, an hebdomadaire hazard, an eyesore and an obstacle. And it always surprises me how easily the truck passes through the mudhole. But passable or not, it's never a good thing when you can actually see waves of water rippling in front of you from movement of the truck through the water. Mike's mechanic in Yaoundé exclaimed on the condition of Mike's brakes: "What do you do to this thing, park it in water?!" In some ways that's not far from the truth.

What else is there to say? The Hilux is a mighty fine vehicle, Dan is a skilled (arguably daring) driver, and winter driving skills come in rather handy on Cameroonian clay. Thus when asked if he'll chance the roads after a heavy rain, Dan just shrugs at the weather with a resigned air and mischievous grin: "Hey that's what 4-Wheel Drive is for."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...