Skip to main content

Christmas

I have been dreading the Christmas season since first coming out here but now that it has arrived, it's not bad at all. It was nearly half over by the time I realized it was upon us. I came home from 24 hours in Kumba to find both Friesen and Scott residences had blossomed with decorations in my absence. (Traditionally, it's my role to help my mom decorate on the first Sunday of Advent, so I feared being involved in someone else's Christmas-making ceremony would bring on homesickness.)

Initially I reasoned: I fully acknowledge that the traditions we celebrate at Christmas are just that -- traditions, and fairly syncretistic ones at that -- so I don't really want to celebrate Christmas at all here, missing so many of the important elements of celebration, beloved family and friends being key, though frankly snow plays a large role, too. I figured -- I'm in Cameroon; I should celebrate Cameroonian style.

The first change in my attitude came from an encouragement from a sage and worldly-wise acquaintance to use this opportunity, of having those elements from home stripped away, to focus on the essence of Christmas, to have a very meaningful Christmas and thus gain fresh perspective to bring to Christmases to come when I'm back in a familiar milieu.

The second came with my great disappointment from going to church in Bekondo on 2nd Advent to hear a sermon on Zacchaeus and nary an Advent-related song. Christmas may have accrued all kinds of commercial and secular North American associations (as well as a number of pagan European ones), but it is still a Christian holiday at heart and a significant and important part of the church calendar. I don't believe it's necessary to celebrate it in any particular way, but I DO believe it is necessary to celebrate it. What a blow to find no Advent in Africa. (Okay, that was a gross overgeneralization, yes, I know. But it has such a nice ring to it.)

Suddenly, I'm enjoying the decorations the Scotts and Friesens have strung, and looking forward to singing carols with the kids and lighting an Advent wreath with the family. I even look forward to singing a carol or two with English Choir at church on Christmas. After all, Christ's coming to Earth as a child is the first half of a world-changing event, Easter being the other half. A child is born, a son is given; a light shining in the darkness; a Saviour, born to us in the city of David. This deserves some celebration, yes, a whole season of it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...