Skip to main content

Money

The high incidence of money talk here is surprising to me, given the scarcity of either hard cash or savings accounts. Not that no one has money here, but living a basically subsistence existence off a jungle farm with only one major crash crop a year means you never have a whole lot of cash -- either on paper or in hand. We're currently entering the season of money here in Bekondo, when the cocoa crop is mostly harvested, dried and sold to buyers. Christmas is party time, not because of Christ but because of cash. It's a lively time for parties, running a generator to power lights and music, trucking in drinks to flow with goodwill. It's the time when schools put their foot down and demand tuition fees be paid or students leave. It's a time of increased crime because people are travelling to visit family and money is around. Taxis double and triple in price -- because they can -- until December 25th, after which the frenzy abruptly stops and prices return to normal (so I'm told).

If you thought endless elaborate fundraising campaigns are a North American plague, as I did, and think a preoccupation with money results from having too much of it, I offer this evidence to the contrary. I think every sermon I heard in my first few months in Cameroon was on giving. Even the theme of the Mini Bible Conference in Bekondo in October was "Financing Missions." Note, not merely "Missions," but "Financing Missions."

Baptist church members are issued cards in which they are to fill out their giving each Sunday. A plethora of financial appeals also follow, some of them quite creative, like paying to take the lid off a food pot at a church supper. (No more silly than paying to shave someone's beard or throw a pie in their face, I suppose.) Produce can be brought to church to be auctioned off after taking the offering.

Ostentatious giving is the financial surprise in church (after the auctions). Well, maybe conspicuous giving is more accurate. I have realized how private I am about giving -- must be my Mennonite upbringing. (In general, I hate to be up in front of a crowd unless I'm singing a solo, giving a reading, or playing a role.) The offering plate is never merely passed and the financial gifts expected at all events are nearly always done with fanfare. You have to go up to give, you have to make it obvious that you're giving something. I approach every offering time, every financial appeal, with dread; despairing for the moment I'll have to join the dancing line slowly filing past the plate or the person being blessed. It's partly the publicity of it; it's partly the awkward place I'm in as a Westerner with more money than some of these people will see in a lifetime. I don't know how to reconcile these concerns so I suppose part of my dread of public displays of giving is that it brings that issue back in my face.

Sorry, I'm not very coherent on this subject and this entry is a result of a couple of months of pecking away at it but I'm just going to post this as-is, revealing faults and all, out of the assumption that you, my readers, are interested in the financial angst of an insignificant Canadian kid in Cameroon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Canada a country of welcome

We're supposed to be grateful that we got a Liberal government instead of a Conservative one that would scapegoat immigrants. However, even under Trudeau, Liberals had subtly started to send the disgustingly popular message that Canada's social ills can be traced to our newcomer population, when in fact, in both housing and education (favourite victims of the blame immigrant narrative), the real villain is the federal government's funding cut backs.  And now Carney is blaming immigrants for health care too. Now he's claiming we can't afford to pay for health care for immigrants (as though we can afford to waste human potential by allowing folks to languish in untreated illness for lack of funds!) So here's a letter to the PM and the immigration minister to protest the cuts to immigration. This time from MCC. Mine, of course, has my own flavour added.  Click here to send your own. I am writing to you to ask that you keep Canada as a country of welcome.  Stop bl...

No more public money for LNG

It’s just so ludicrous that we’d be sending any public money to fossil fuel extraction. It doesn’t even make financial sense with major Asian markets ramping up solar and wind. And that's beyond the known climate change consequences of continued extraction.   So, another adapted form letter, thanks to Stand for earth.  Write your own here I am writing to urge you to reject any investment, financing, or de-risking of new LNG projects in Canada. I am sick and tired of public money flowing to subsidize fossil fuel extraction.  It does not benefit ordinary Canadians.  It is known to contribute to global warming – the effects of which we are already feeling with a huge increase in disastrous climate events which are costly and harmful. It doesn’t even make financial sense because the market is drying up. The rest of the world is smart enough to switch to renewables.  You are continuing to dehumanize Indigenous peoples by running roughshod over their territory a...

Ecological disaster through data centres nobody even wants

Glitchy products that never do what they say are bad enough, and then they add genocide into the mix. But what real options are there to Microsoft? Another (adapted) form letter from Stand for earth. Write your own here You’ve trapped us all into being forced to use MS for word processing since you simply drove all the competition out of the marketplace with injust business practices. The least you can do it not lie to us about your supposed commitments to green energy sourcing.  I was disgusted to hear Microsoft struck a 20 year deal with Chevron to supply massive amounts of polluting methane gas for a data centre in Texas. Microsoft used to pretend to have climate commitments by setting goals far off in the future so you could keep kicking the can down the road and never meeting them. But now you're not even pretending to try, Now it’s pursuit of ecological disaster through unnecessary AI data centres nobody even wants to use.  I’m asking: please start listening to the commu...