Skip to main content

Not again!

 Dear Prime Minister Carney
Congratulations on taking on the mantle of leadership of the Liberal Party, and with it, Prime Ministership of Canada, with such a resounding lead.
It's never an easy job and you have taken it up at a particularly difficult time.
Tonight, along with many other Canadians, I am beyond heart-sick at the news that Israel has broken the ceasefire. This is unconscionable. They are already credibly accused of war crimes and genocide and now they can't even keep a peace deal? The leaders of the nations of the world must condemn this decisively and with alacrity. Disregard for international rule of law and flagrant unconcern for human life must not go unremarked upon. Please show us your political courage and moral fortitude by speaking against this human tragedy.

Comments

kar0ling said…
And a form letter by LeadNow.ca with a few additional notes by me:
Dear Prime Minister Carney, Minister Joly, and Member of Parliament,

I am writing to you with grief and deep concern regarding Israel’s most recent attack that has killed over 400 Palestinians and broke the already fragile ceasefire. I am calling on you to immediately condemn this violence and implement an immediate two-way arms embargo against Israel.

Yes, I have written to you on this subject already, but this is so important: we must act! We must reduce our complicity in this wanton and unnecessary genocide.

The UN Human Rights Council and independent UN experts have called on all states to cease the sale and transfer of weapons to Israel immediately, or else risk complicity in war crimes or acts of genocide. I urge you to do everything in your power to secure an immediate, two-way arms embargo on Israel, inclusive of all weapons and military goods.

A year ago, Parliament voted in favour of an arms embargo — it is unacceptable this isn’t completed yet. I am calling on you to:

1. Cancel all remaining weapons export permits to Israel
2. Close the US loophole that allows Canadian-made weapons to travel to Israel via the US
3. Cancel all ongoing and planned purchases of military goods from Israel

Canada must be a voice for international peace and diplomacy. Canada’s strongest leverage is to implement a full arms embargo immediately and demand Israel return to the negotiating table for true, long-lasting peace.

I urge you to act with courage and swiftly.
kar0ling said…
Another form letter, this one from Just Peace Advocates:
I write to you today, my elected representative, with immense urgency and deep anguish following Israel's unprovoked and devastating assault on the civilian population of Gaza, which has ended the ceasefire as of Tuesday, March 18, 2025.

More than 450 Palestinians, including over 150 children, were killed in the early hours as they slept amidst the rubble, victims of relentless bombardment. Harrowing images emerging from Gaza show the lifeless bodies of infants, children, women, and men - innocent people deprived of food, water, and electricity for nearly two weeks, many burnt or dismembered beyond recognition. This is genocide in action, confirming beyond any doubt Israel's intentions since October 2023.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), over 50,000 Palestinians have been killed, and more than 120,000 injured in Gaza since October 2023. Women and children account for over 70% of the casualties. These numbers, tragically, are conservative compared to estimates by reputable sources like The Lancet, which indicate the actual toll may be more than triple OCHA's figures.

With the ceasefire tragically broken, and with explicit endorsement from a U.S. administration advocating annexation policies for Gaza, Canada, and Greenland, the threat of intensified genocide and forced displacement against the Palestinian people is now gravely clear.

We know an election is upon us here in Canada, possibly as early as this coming weekend. Many politicians will choose silence over courage because it is politically convenient, some will deflect and blame the Palestinian babies, women, and men for simply existing and being alive rather than blame the genocidal Israeli government for their barbarity and cruelty.

I ask you, my elected representative, to speak up. Silence is as, if not more, shameful as siding with the oppressor. Now, your voice is needed more than ever. I am not asking you to only call for access to humanitarian aid, I am asking you to ensure that the Palestinian people can live in dignity where there would be no need for humanitarian aid. I implore you, as my representative, to choose courage and humanity.

As such, I ask you, my elected representative, to:

- Immediately issue a statement condemning Israel’s assault that ended the ceasefire;
- Demand that Minister Joly summon Israel's ambassador to unequivocally condemn these actions and insist on immediate and unhindered humanitarian access and to call for an end to the Israeli genocidal actions;
- Urgently call for immediate and increased Canadian humanitarian support through direct channels such as UNRWA and Islamic Relief;
- Call for targeted sanctions against Israeli leaders implicated in these atrocities, including Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz; and
- Demand the immediate dismantling of the Canada-Israel Free Trade Agreement.
As constituents, we are watching closely to see who speaks out for justice, who chooses silence, and who sides with oppression.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...