Skip to main content

Peacekeeping not policing

I send a lot of letters. 

To help the message reach a little farther, I’ve decided to share them on my blog here so others can read these perspectives. 

This one is written by the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute with some additional commentary by me. CFPI will likely forgive me for plagiarizing their letter, especially if you click the link in the comments to sign and send your own version. You can enter your email address and send as is or go into the letter text and adjust the wording to match your voice and sentiments.


Dear Defence Minister Bill Blair,

Canadian pride is on the rise these days and folks are proudly sharing the old iconic Molson “Joe Canadian” commercial with the powerful line, “we believe in peacekeeping not policing.” Indeed. Contrary to the clamour, this is NOT the time to pour money into the well of destruction that is the military.

And certainly not to any support for the US military.

Until Donald Trump stops threatening to annex Canada the military should pause officer exchanges with the US military.

The US president’s insults, border musings and economic assault have stirred significant anger with many Canadians canceling trips to the US. At the same time dozens of Canadian soldiers remain on exchanges with the US military. They should be brought home immediately.

Military exchanges have been a way for the US to exert influence with US-trained officers even participating in many international coups. Over the past couple decades most Chiefs of the Defence Staff have been trained in the US including current head Jennie Carignan, who trained at the United States Army Command and General Staff College and the School of Advanced Military Studies, in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Historically, exchanges have entangled Canada in US belligerence. While attending US Army War College in Texas Walter Natynczyk, who later became Chief of the Defence Staff, deployed to Iraq in 2004 as Deputy Commanding General III Corps. Natynczyk commanded the Multi-National Corps in Baghdad - in charge of 35,000 international troops - despite Canada not formally participating in the Iraq war. We must ensure Canadians don’t participate in Trump’s ongoing attacks on Yemen or elsewhere.

Canada’s armed forces should halt officer exchanges until the US president stops his economic siege and annexation threats.

Comments

kar0ling said…
To sign your own letter: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/no-officer-exchanges-with-trumps-usa

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Community, continued

I had some more thoughts on community last night but it was getting kind of long, so I saved them for today! (In other news, for those of you less interested in my ramblings -- I got some of my shots today and now my arm is irritatingly sore from, hmmm, I think it's the Typhoid.) There's lots of talk these days about the importance of family. Conservative Christians in particular get really caught up in family -- family values, family friendly, family time -- are buzzwords you hear bandied about. Yes, family is important, and God does delight in family, but not for family's sake, but as a model of community. Unconditional love and acceptance. Time. Support, both emotional and material. Accountability. These are qualities we associate with "good" families. They are the qualities which make good community. I believe this is what God calls us to be; this is why He put us in families, and why we are taught to place value on families -- because they are a metaphor for...