Skip to main content

Build a Canada that puts people and the planet first

With thanks to LeadNow, another letter to my MP – who is alright fighting Bill C-5 – with a message to Mr Carney. 

While I agree that we must invest in projects to build the Canadian economy and invest in our future, Bill C-5 is the wrong approach.

Instead of supporting sustainable development, the bill, as proposed, clears the way for large corporations, especially fossil fuel corporations, to cut corners, ignore public input, and push through harmful projects that are not in the public interest.

This bill puts too much at risk: our environment, our duty to meaningfully consult Indigenous nations, community safety and input, and workers’ rights. 

If this government is serious about investing in building our economy better, they must prioritize building critical nation-building infrastructure, such as a climate-resilient and affordable housing, a 100% renewable East-West grid, and high-speed rail, and show up to lead and fund these projects — not push through shortcuts that weaken crucial protections and consultation.

Mr Carney promised to fight for all Canadians. this bill picks a fight with most Canadians and sweeps the dust off the already clear path for the richest Canadians. that's not what we voted for and not what Mr Carney promised us. We're calling on the government to build a Canada that puts people and the planet first.

Sign your own letter here: https://leadnow.ca/campaigns/polluters-first-bill/  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...