Skip to main content

No to NATO

Prime Minister Carney just promised to massively increase canada's military budget

Dear Mr Carney, Canadian party leaders and my local MP

When Canadians voted Liberal, they did so with the belief they would be getting an adult in the room. They were voting for a Canada committed to peace.

They voted for someone who promised to build homes for Canadians

They voted for someone who promised to work in partnership with Indigenous Peoples regarding energy – clean energy.

They voted for someone who recognized that kindness is a virtue, who promised to be humble.

Sir, we did not vote for war.

  • Increased NATO spending will not put food on Canadian tables.
  • Increased NATO spending will not address the crisis of loneliness and despair that leads many Canadians to destructive addictions.
  • Increased NATO spending will not mitigate climate change, a rising threat to all of us, as is so clearly demonstrated by the wildfires ravaging Manitoba and Saskatchewan as I write this. 

Mr Carney, increased spending an on international military alliance is more likely to *cause* war than prevent it, as the leadup to World War I demonstrates.

You weren’t ashamed to be described as channelling “dad energy” during your campaign. And Canada was happy with that. We’re looking for a dad with an ordinary haircut, who cites humility as a virtue, and above all, who wants to ensure all the kids are taken care of. Your Canadian “kids” aren’t looking for war.

  • We’re looking for a better health care deal for our provinces.
  • We’re looking for assistance in shifting to green energy and to make our homes and businesses more energy efficient.
  • We’re looking for investment in mass transit and active transportation so we can leave behind expensive and inefficient private vehicles and travel by train, tram, bus and bicycle. 
  • We’re looking for protection for workers (not fighting the Canada Post union’s requests for fair treatment and reasonable compensation), especially from the threat of AI which always provides worse service at the expense of real people’s jobs.
  • We’re looking to build a Canada that shows the world diversity can be a strength, that welcoming immigrants builds our country, that reconciliation (there’s that theme of humility again) is worth our earnest efforts, difficult as they may be.

Sir, I don’t believe there’s any playbook where building for war (which you never mentioned in your election campaign) correlates with kindness that feeds more kindness (about which you spoke so eloquently in your acceptance speech).

Canadians have done hard, seemingly impossible things. Let’s do it again. Let’s do the hard thing – the right thing – of fighting the trends of billionaires who intentionally destroy the planet to increase their profits while workers are increasingly disenfranchised, of politicians who foment division and act adversarially instead of collaboratively with those across the aisle, and of governments who profit off war while delivering meaningless platitudes about peace and equality.

It will take a billion steps – some monumental decisions by government, some daily decisions from citizens – to build the Canada of peace, respect and equality that you promised us, but not a single one of those involves increased military spending.

There’s no shame in changing your mind on what is shown to be a bad course of action.

Please do not increase NATO spending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...