Skip to main content

Time for courage and consequences

After urging not to let up, it seemed as though I did just that, but the signatures continued even if the tailored letters did not.

While the horror in Gaza continues apace with brutality and illegality burgeoning in the West Bank also, Canada has found itself a few buddies to give it the courage to take a few baby steps in the right direction.  Perhaps Ms Anand, tentative as she may be, has more heart than the glib Ms Joly.

First...

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements/2025/05/19/joint-statement-leaders-canada-united-kingdom-and-france-situation

Then... 

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs/news/2025/06/joint-statement-by-the-foreign-ministers-of-australia-canada-new-zealand-norway-and-the-united-kingdom-on-measures-targeting-itamar-ben-gvir-and-be.html 

...are welcome steps but still so very little in the face of such unfettered brutality. 

So, another letter, slightly personalized, but mostly using Canadians for Justice and Peace's template.  

Dear recipient's full name will go here,

Thank you for your recent joint statement with the UK and France condemning Israel’s latest military assault on Gaza. Your recognition that the suffering is “intolerable,” and that Israel may be breaching international law by blocking aid and threatening forced displacement, was a welcome — though long overdue — first step.

But words alone are not enough. Canada must urgently follow up this statement with immediate sanctions on Israel.

There is no “if” or “when” in this situation. Israel’s leaders have made it clear they will not heed any warning. The brutality of their actions have only increased in the face of each tentative condemnation from other world leaders. Prime Minister Netanyahu dismissed your statement and vowed to press on toward “total victory.” Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich announced that Israel’s goal is to “destroy everything that’s left of Gaza” through “conquering, cleansing, and remaining.” Netanyahu praised this as “speaking the truth.” Former Knesset member Moshe Feiglin went even further, declaring on national television that “every baby in Gaza is the enemy” and that not one should be left.

This is not hypothetical. This is genocide unfolding in real time — and your government is still enabling it by continuing Canada’s weapons trade with Israel. Despite your claims of an arms embargo, Canadian-made weapons continue to reach Israeli forces.

Your statement must be followed immediately by action, or it will be dismissed like so many others offered by your predecessor.

We need real sanctions now.

I urge you to fully use Canada’s Special Economic Measures Act to impose a full two-way arms embargo on Israel, sanction Israeli political and settler leaders, and ban business with companies complicit in the illegal occupation.

Spain, France, the UK — even EU institutions — are now shifting course in response to public pressure. Canada must not only avoid being left behind; we must take our place as a peacekeeper and lead in holding Israel accountable for its starvation and destruction of the Palestinian people.

You’ve taken a first step. Now is the time to match it with courage — and consequence.

Sincerely,

your full name will go here
your email will go here, your location will go here

https://www.cjpme.org/tell_carney_to_sanction_israel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...