Food by any other name, part 5

Soya is an ambiguous word, and I couldn't say what exactly I would expect of something called "soya" at home. It might be soy beans themselves; it might be tofu or another soy bean product; it might be the ubiquitous soya sauce of Chinese restaurants. But I'm fairly positive that it would not ever be spiced, skewered meat roasted over a barrel fire on the side of the road.

It's delicious, despite its seeming misnomer. Some are "party in my mouth" spicy, while others are "get water quick, there's a fire in my mouth" spicy, depending on the vendor.

It's also known as "typhoid on a stick" but I prefer not to be so negative about food. As long as they're reasonably hot when you buy them, you just chow down with relish and pray that ignorance is bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts