Skip to main content

Signs of Cameroon

On a thrift store in Bamenda:
Fairly Used Goods

In the police station in Bamenda:
Don’t Don’t bribe

Bamenda businesses:
Naturophatic Medicine
Glorious Printshop
Microsoft Office

Bamenda grocery stores/supermarkets:
Vatican
Our Parents
New Life

In Nkwen Baptist Church in Bamenda:
Please honour the Lord / Switch off your phone(s)

At the Baptist resthouse in Bamenda:
No drinking of alcohol here please!

Bars/Restaurants:
Peaceful Off Licence
All for God Bar
Explosif Bar
Chop Gain

In Big Bekondo:
Bobecafs-cigs / Exploitation: Cocoa, Coffee

On a roadside kiosk in Wafa:
Sweat Provision Store

On a roadside kiosk in Ekombe:
Persi Verance

Roadside businesses between Kumba and Yaoundé:
God’s Favour Computer Centre
Diligent Bilingual Schools

A children’s aid-type society in Kumba:
Bend Down Women / Care for Orphans and Vulnerable Children

Miscellaneous Kumba signs:
Divine High School—Excellence in education
Heavy fowls for sale

At the Presbyterian seminary in Kumba:
Sex can wait; my future can’t.
Abstinence: the best way to avoid AIDS.

Along the road between Yaoundé and Douala:
Chaises à louer
(If you’re wondering why a person would want to rent chairs, consider private gatherings here: if you’re having a party or holding a conference, you don’t rent a hall, you erect a shelter, but with up to 100 guests or more, you’re going to need some extra chairs!)

In the changerooms at Seme Beach Resort Hotel in Limbe:
Prohibited to urinate in changing rooms. Thanks.
(The smell in the rooms suggested many people disobeyed the signs, despite the fact they were in both official languages.)

Just outside Muyuka:
No farming by order Catholic Church

Billboards everywhere:
-- The familiar credit union logo—the family cupped in two hands.
-- Guinness ads, featuring the word “greatness” in some context, regardless of whether the sign is in French or English.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...