Skip to main content

Telephone

Somewhat--but surprisingly, not too much--later than the 40 days promised, a communications tower has indeed been erected, enabling us to get network in the village. It became functional on Christmas Eve. I left for Limbe and Kumba on Christmas Day and didn't return for just over a week, so when--alone in Scotts' house except for Rachel whom I'd borrowed to keep me company--a ringing sound pulled me from my holiday lie-in, my sleep-befuddled brain had no idea of what to make of it. I wandered into the utility room (from where the sound seemed to be emanating) and was staring at the solar power transformer, wondering if I needed to get Dan to come and fix whatever emergency was causing the noise, when Rachel stumbled in, rubbing sleep from her eyes and answered the phone.

Phone!?!?!?!

To think I didn't even recognize the sound of a telephone ringing. But who ever would have expected such a thing in such a place? Not me, apparently.

So we are now connected to the outside world--sometimes. The signal doesn't always get through here either, but it's much more reliable (and convenient) than hiking up Pres Hill and hoping that standing in exactly the right spot, facing just the right angle will enable you to send a text-message. That morning, it was Becky calling from Bamenda to tell us to bring up one of Holly's kittens with us for the Baptist compound there. It also worked wonderfully to communicate with Becky from Kumba regarding when she and the kids should head out to 3 Corners for the long, un-punctual wedding celebration day.

As one of two houses in the village--the other being the Friesen-Mosongo duplex--with electricity, villagers often bring their phones here to be charged. (And you thought only North Americans collected gadgets of very situation-specific utility.) Whether the number of people acquiring cell phones has spiked, or whether they've just started keeping them charged now, I don't know, but there has been a markedly higher incidence of cell phone charge requests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...