Skip to main content

Arrived

Well, I'm here. All went smoothly, even better than I expected, though that is in part on account of the worst case scenario advice I was given before leaving. I met up with another missionary family in Paris so they were my peace of mind for the rest of the trip. Despite warnings that "Air Chance" (Air France) has a reputation for loosing baggage, all of mine arrived on time, Praise the Lord!

Spent my first day in Cameroon lazing about with the Scott family who are at the end of their vacation. So far the kids and I get along -- the girls already think I'm crazy so I think we're off to a good start. The little one (Laura, 4) has taken a shine to me it seems and Kenneth has very little to do with me, but that is fine.

Played my first game of Settlers, for those for whom that means something. I suspect I may wile away many an evening here playing with either the girls or the Friesens whom I'm told are super-competitive.

What can I tell you about Cameroon? Douala is firmly in the French part of the country -- all signs, product packaging and speaking is in French. The dirt is a red clay. The city reminds me very much of Yangon, Burma -- one third world city is much like another, I suppose, not to undermine the individuality of each place however, but it may be a bit longer in discovering. One patisserie/epicerie we went into reminded me of the small grocery stores in Ukraine, with a counter for each different type of food. It was warm today but not unbearably so. I daresay it was hotter in Winnipeg and Toronto. We had sun at intervals in the morning and afternoon with dark skies threatening rain in between, though I don't think any rain fell. But it is rainy season after all, so anything can happen weather-wise.


Comments

Pamela said…
So glad you and your luggage arrived at the same time! I'll be looking forward to your entries as you settle in for the coming year!
Anonymous said…
Good to hear from you Karla. I'll bring this news to church tomorrow. So glad your flight, customs etc went well.
Beverley
Anonymous said…
Happy to hear you're trip was thus far smooth and safe! Hope you have a lot of adventures in store for us to hear about!
Anonymous said…
Okay, I can't help but mention this because I know you would appreciate it, Karla. I'm also glad your luggage wasn't loosed on the general population. Who knows what havoc might have been created. Oh, now I'm certainly going to make some silly mistake myself. Anyway, glad to hear you arrived well.
Heather

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Canada a country of welcome

We're supposed to be grateful that we got a Liberal government instead of a Conservative one that would scapegoat immigrants. However, even under Trudeau, Liberals had subtly started to send the disgustingly popular message that Canada's social ills can be traced to our newcomer population, when in fact, in both housing and education (favourite victims of the blame immigrant narrative), the real villain is the federal government's funding cut backs.  And now Carney is blaming immigrants for health care too. Now he's claiming we can't afford to pay for health care for immigrants (as though we can afford to waste human potential by allowing folks to languish in untreated illness for lack of funds!) So here's a letter to the PM and the immigration minister to protest the cuts to immigration. This time from MCC. Mine, of course, has my own flavour added.  Click here to send your own. I am writing to you to ask that you keep Canada as a country of welcome.  Stop bl...

No more public money for LNG

It’s just so ludicrous that we’d be sending any public money to fossil fuel extraction. It doesn’t even make financial sense with major Asian markets ramping up solar and wind. And that's beyond the known climate change consequences of continued extraction.   So, another adapted form letter, thanks to Stand for earth.  Write your own here I am writing to urge you to reject any investment, financing, or de-risking of new LNG projects in Canada. I am sick and tired of public money flowing to subsidize fossil fuel extraction.  It does not benefit ordinary Canadians.  It is known to contribute to global warming – the effects of which we are already feeling with a huge increase in disastrous climate events which are costly and harmful. It doesn’t even make financial sense because the market is drying up. The rest of the world is smart enough to switch to renewables.  You are continuing to dehumanize Indigenous peoples by running roughshod over their territory a...

Ecological disaster through data centres nobody even wants

Glitchy products that never do what they say are bad enough, and then they add genocide into the mix. But what real options are there to Microsoft? Another (adapted) form letter from Stand for earth. Write your own here You’ve trapped us all into being forced to use MS for word processing since you simply drove all the competition out of the marketplace with injust business practices. The least you can do it not lie to us about your supposed commitments to green energy sourcing.  I was disgusted to hear Microsoft struck a 20 year deal with Chevron to supply massive amounts of polluting methane gas for a data centre in Texas. Microsoft used to pretend to have climate commitments by setting goals far off in the future so you could keep kicking the can down the road and never meeting them. But now you're not even pretending to try, Now it’s pursuit of ecological disaster through unnecessary AI data centres nobody even wants to use.  I’m asking: please start listening to the commu...