Skip to main content

Exciting plants

I finally got out of the house to the surrounding countryside a little bit, which did wonders for my mood. The girls were highly amused at my childlike wonder at many of the things they take for granted.

I saw my first bamboo tree which was very cool. It's a bunch of huge bamboo poles growing together like sheafs of grain piled on a field. The leaves which sprout from the top are reminiscent of willow leaves.

Did you know that coconuts actually have a fruit around them? They don't grow on the tree as you get them in the store -- those have had all the fruit removed. So the coconut tree in the front yard has big green, slightly oblong fruit on it, not little brown nuts as I was expecting.

Right around the house the ground is flat so I was astounded to find a sharp, verdant valley with a stream running along the bottom -- just a 5-minute walk from the house. The beauty of all the foliage took my breath away.

I saw a huge snail! His shell was almost as long as my hand and he was home. The girls again were surprised that I'd never seen a snail that big before. Apparently they eat them all the time here. I was less than excited to hear that but we'll borrow that trouble when it comes.

Cacao trees with cocoa pods on them were my next major excitement. They come in different colours not only depending on their stage of ripeness but also depending on their mood. I saw green ones, orange ones and purple ones. Johannes, the Scotts' cook, said that, like many others, his grandfather smuggled cocoa beans off the plantation to plant his own farm -- by eating the beans and passing them at home. Interesting, yes?

We passed a field planted with "groundnuts" (peanuts): the plants sprouted from long mounds of dirt heaped up as though bodies were buried underneath. Yes, it's another image from The Poisonwood BIble.

Oh, and pineapples. Who knew pinapples grew out of a yucca-like shrub? Certainly not me. I just assumed they grew on trees.

To my disappointment, none of these exciting fruits are in season yet. I guess rainy season is not the time for ripeness? I'm looking forward to trying all kinds of FRESH fruit this year, particularly mangoes. Apparently the ones we get at home are stringy and not very good. That sets an impossibly high standard for these guys I'm awaiting cuz I never had any complaints about the ones at home.

I wish I could describe all the plants here but you probably don't care as much as I do, and I think you really need to see it to understand what is so exciting, especially for a prairie girl like me.

Comments

lasselanta said…
You make me miss the rainforest!!

Oh, and I didn't think I was going to like the snails either, but they are actually quite good. Take heart. :-)
Rebs said…
aww...it's so funny to hear you describing things I thought everyone knew! just goes that I have no idea how different my worldview is from the 'average' north american. I usually assume I'm fairly normal.

ps. your blogs rock my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Deep breaths, just relax

I am immensely relieved to have my visa application in the mail...except I won't be free of trepidation until I have my passport back, visa approved. Sending my visa makes me realize it's actually going to happen -- sooner rather than later. Just one more day of work at the newspaper, 2 1/2 more shifts at the bookstore. Training the new guy today went well for me; I hope it went well for him as well! Thankfully, I have news that I will not be wandering around Douala by myself upon my arrival in Cameroon. (Okay, not that that was going to be the case, but it sounds more dramatic.) The original plan was that I'd meet Dan and Lisa at Charles de Gaulle and continue with them from there in on. Just the way I like it -- being "adventurous" within the safe parameters of responsible and experienced oversight. However, the U.S. government got in the way of those plans with delay after delay with Joshua's paperwork. To say I was worried about arriving in Douala all alo...