Skip to main content

Trip into town

The thrift store. Literally, a man in Maryland fills a shipping container with garage sale rejects and sends them off to the American Thrift Store in Bamenda. So the contents are a random selection of items possibly not found anywhere else in Cameroon, and of either great value or no use to anyone. I saw a new, still-in-its-box Iced Tea Maker, an old colourful iMac, and replacement straws for a particular sippy cup, of which none of the original product were to be seen. You get the picture. They say it can be a goldmine or a total waste of time, depending on the day you visit.

The bookstore. Now, there were actually many bookstores along the main shopping street, but this was the biggest, most formal-looking, and the only one I went into. The stock was a curious mix of Cameroon-specific books, new books (mostly school material) and really old books. Books were piled horizontally (in the style of the U of W bookstore) on shelves. I found such things as a brand new student copy of Julius Caesar (which I had in stock at McN-R not long ago) and some Dickens published back in the day when books cost only a dollar or two.

Couches. The most incongruous sight. In front of the ramshackle buildings, shipping containers turned storefronts, and stark concrete houses, were brand new leather couches and plush cloth sofas for sale. Amongst the dust, clouds threatening rain, and plain mud buildings, those couches begged a double take.

I was on observation overload in town, casting my gaze about, desperately trying to notice and remember everything. There are very few buildings more than one story tall, and many of those few appear to be unoccupied on the upper stories. Are they too new to be filled? Or is this another example of people putting their savings into buildings rather than banks, so they start a project without funds to complete it? (They erected the walls of the Baptist church here in Bamenda, then left them languishing for 7 years before they had sufficient funds to roof the place. The Presbyterian church across town had a better idea -- they put up the roof first, the building is at least functional even if they walls don't go up right away.)

One thing is for sure, it's a whole other way of laying out a town than I am used to seeing. Urban sprawl in Canada might not seem so bad when I come back....or, it might be ten times worse!

Comments

lasselanta said…
I remember the sensory overload too, and feeling that I was only getting about 30% of any long explanations that were being given to me. (And then wondering "when culture shock would hit." :-) I'm sure you're better prepared to recognise it, though, having been overseas several times before!)
Anonymous said…
Wow you give really rich descriptions, Karlab. It really helps to get an idea of where you're living.

Kaitlin

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Stand up for Canadian Health Care (such as it is)

Canadian health care is far from perfect — it has never achieved all Tommy Douglas dreamed for it: from tip to toe (teeth are still missing, as are a lot of drugs) — but unleashing unfettered two-tier is the opposite of fixing it.  So I joined with the Canadian Medical Association in pleading for the Canadian government to grow a spine and stop unhinged Smith's attempt to violate our own rules within her province.  As someone on Bluesky observed, if Stephen Harper tried to do this, we'd be at the gate with pitchforks. Where is the outrage. Daddy Warbucks Carney’s latest just-barely satisfactory performance in trade negotiations should not blind us to his failure to prevent this from happening.  The letter to the health minister, CC my MP and the shadow ministers: The Canadian Medical Association says the Canadian government must stand up for Albertans and all Canadians to ensure Alberta's new legislation doesn’t create a new normal of health care haves and have-no...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...