Skip to main content

Oroko in church

Tragic events last Sunday were nevertheless used for good. The pastor and some of the church leadership were out of the village for conferences; the man left in charge of the service in their absence had a family crisis (wife gave birth to stillborn child); so the sermon was dumped on Dan’s lap with one hour’s notice Sunday morning.

Undaunted, he got creative and the church reaped the benefit. He read the first part of Joseph’s story, slightly paraphrased, in Oroko and had Mr. Mosongo (his neighbour, a retired headmaster, member of the translation team, and respected village elder) translate into Pidgin for non-Oroko speakers in church. The message then was an interactive series of questions given in Oroko by Dan, and in Pidgin by Mr. Mosongo.

Church was pretty empty that morning, but the response to the new style was remarkable. People were more awake than I’ve ever seen, and though they usually gave answers in Pidgin, there was a level of enthusiasm for the discussion and of engagement with the subject that I have never seen in response to the Pidgin Sunday school lessons or sermons.

A far more effective “wake up and listen to what I’m saying” technique that Dan used was to repeat or rephrase the question in Oroko when he seemed to be losing his audience; this worked much better to jolt people back into attention than the “Hell-ohh” the pastor and other leadership usually use.

It was really exciting to see the people’s response to hearing the word of God in their own language, in their “country talk”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living stones in the holy land

I met Jesus in Israel-Palestine a few years ago. I found him not in the rocky, desert ground he trod, nor in the ancient stones of the towns and cities he visited; not in the subterranean grotto in the Church of the Nativity, nor in the mammoth Church of the Holy Sepulchre, encompassing the traditional site of his death and resurrection. No, I met him in the lives of Palestinians who incarnate his spirit, in humble, passionate people who are convinced that love is the only way. I met Jesus in people who spoke like this: “We need to be soaked in the love of Christ. Love is not a hug and a kiss. Love is to seek the life of the other that the cost of one’s own.” --Labib Madanat, coordinator of the Palestinian and Israeli Bible Societies “Love is not an opportunity to overlook justice. Love is an opportunity to pursue justice…. [But] we want to resist any form of evil with the heart and mind of Jesus Christ.… There is no love without justice. And there is no true justice without lov...

Broken people...

After reflecting with one coworker on how often churches in all their forms really mess up and hurt a whole bunch of people in the process -- and how "we gotta do better" -- I stumbled into another conversation with a coworker which highlighted our brokenness, and I suddenly realized what was wrong with my take in the first. I wanted the church to be better at fixing our mistakes, or better yet, at not making them in the first place. But maybe this "fix-it" attitude is partly the reason we keep blowing it again and again! My friend recollected an experience when a church community was in a terrible place: compounded mistakes, hurts, and frustrations had blown up, spewing pain all over all parties. (I'm sure anyone with a long history in the church can think of one, if not several, such occasions in their past.) A new Christian who observed all these goings on responded in an unexpected way. Instead of "you people are a bunch of screw-ups! How could this pos...

Flights

I've got tickets! In faith that all the money will come together, my tickets have been purchased. So now I have to go! There was a significantly cheaper flight option with Air Maroc that involved an overnight in Paris and in Casablanca, but I opted for the same Air France flight from Paris to Douala that Dan and Lisa will be on. Frankly, I'm somewhat relieved the latter option was available. Obviously, I must have some sense of adventure to be willing to spend 10 months in Cameroon--and I do--but it's not quite up to the former challenge just yet. I'll likely be quite wound up as it is--the last thing I'll need in my state of excitement and fretful anticipation is to spend three days alone trying to reach my destination, getting no sleep, dealing with unfamiliar languages, and arriving alone to spend a half-day cartrip down roads in less than perfect condition with a local stranger. Now I'm not saying I'm unwilling to be challenged or that any one of these ...